Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard several times, that rear tire wears twice as fast as the front one. I have 9000 on my 2003, and my front threads are almost gone, especially on the left (crowned roads), but rear seems decent. How was your experience?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Riding style and PSI in the tires wil make a difference.
My Stock tires got 10k and the rear needed replaceing, the front was close.
I put on Metzlers with the 110 on the front.
I have put almost 7k on them and they are wearing great, not even half way worn down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had my '06 since Sept. 2005 and just rolled 19000 miles yesterday. My stock tires still look pretty good. Is that completely crazy? Does tire wear have more to do with age than mileage? I've been planning to get the Metz 880's but it seems like a shame to change the tires when they still have a lot of tread.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
19,000 miles, that is amazing, I never heard of a rider getting over 13,000
miles on a set of tires. What brand were they?

·
Registered
28 Posts
They're Bridgestone Exedras.

Like I said, I keep thinking I should get them replaced because everyone says they only get 10-12k out of their stock tires, but the last time I was at the dealership I asked them to take a look and they agreed they were still in pretty good shape. They thought it might have been because they were still fairly new in terms of time (less than 2 years old), despite the mileage. But, I've ridden the hell out of them even through two D.C. winters.

I finally did break down and order the Metzelers from Ron Ayers yesterday. Not sure how soon I'm going to put them on though...

·
Registered
306 Posts
The way i go through tires (POP!) I feel like the kid who hands his lolly pop to the owl. One mile, two miles, three miles POP. The oem set that was on my bike lasted 11k then I swaped them out. Keept them on for about 5k and rebuilt LULU and put on the new set then poped the rear after less than 500 miles. Hopefully this new one will last :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally put my Metz 880's on this weekend. Had just over 19500 miles on the stock tires and probably could have gone another couple thousand on them.

Haven't had a chance to put much mileage on the Metz's yet, so I'll report back on them soon, but the one thing I did notice was that it seemed like it was MUCH easier to turn the bike...i.e., less effort to put the bike into a lean. I'm curious to see how they do in the rain, because that was the one area the stock tires were beginning to concern me.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Make sure you scuff in the tires before you try any hard riding or wet weather riding.
The tires come with a waxy coating on them, you will not have the best traction for the first 50 miles or so.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm at just over 12k on the stock tires and they look like they are due for replacing soon. I keep reading here about most people going for the Metz 880's but, I was also looking at the Avon Venom X (AM41 front, AM42 rear). Has anyone tried these yet? Should I up the size of the front to 110? What benefit would I get from it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
My bike is a 93, but when I bought it a few months ago it was only just over 12000 miles on the clock. It still had the original stock tyres which were Dunlops which were just about useable, but practically down to the little wear indicator bits in the tread. Dunlop don't make their tyres any more so I had to replace front and back and I had Avon Venoms. I've done about 1000 miles and they seem OK in that I don't notice much of a difference - couldn't say they were especially good but neither are they noticeably bad - but then I don't throw the bike around a lot. Couldn't say what benefit there would be in widening the front tyre. If you're going to be doing 90-100 you might be glad of a bit of extra grip, otherwise all you might do is slightly increase your petrol consumption
Simon

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Should I up the size of the front to 110? What benefit would I get from it?
The 110 front tire (as many here report) puts the speedo closer to a correct reading. Otherwise, it shows about 10% higher than actual.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've got the 110 on my front and I noticed immediately that it seemed to corner better, especially in slow turns. Before my 110 my speedo was 10% reading high. Now it's more like 3% high. I've used my GPS to test my speedo with both tires.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Air Pressure vs. Ride

There was so much good information on this post, I though I'd resurrect it. I noticed my bike wanting to ride any seam or ridges in the road the last time I went around the block. Even the high ridge in the center of the lane seems to slightly throw the bike. The tires do not appear low and I will check pressure before I take it out again, but has anyone had any experience with the bike handling odd with a few pounds less air? Should I run slightly higher pressure on the stock tires? I currently run 36 front and 37 rear psi. The bike is an '02 with 6k on the odometer.

I guess I just want to make sure a few pounds of air pressure makes the bike squirrely instead of another hardware problem brewing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've noticed that if I over inflate my tires, the bike becomes faster because less rubber is on the ground, but that also means that you have less control and handling because you have less rubber on the ground. With only 2 wheels to play on, I would say to never overinflate and I wouldn't take any out either. My experience is that if you are low on air, your bike will become slugish and you may feel a swaying from side to side around turns. Also, you could damage the side walls if they ride incorrectly. Some tires are made with stronger walls to protect against loss of air, but still, why play around with your life for something as simple as that.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
I am thinking the tires were a little low on pressure. I know I should have checked them before I posted, but I wanted to get a jump on what to look for.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I don't notice my 110 front tire reacting to the grooves in the road nearly as much as the 100 did. I think it also has something to do with the 110 being basically new. I would imagine that as a tire wears, it will have more weirdness to how it handles grooves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts