Premium Member
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
7,671 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
the TIRE is rated for 650lbs max loading.. not saying anything about the max loading of the vehicle its installed on. we wont even go into weight distribution between front and rear, as it varies by bike as much as by rider

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
So the question is, riding two up on this tire. DURO - HF 904 MEDIAN. Love this tire and if I have to tell the ole lady she can't ride then oh well.
On the right side of the frame by the gooseneck should be a decal stating GVWR. If I remember right you should be able to carry about 300-340 lbs ( includes you and the ole lady ).

·
Registered
182 Posts
the vn750 was made to hold a 250 lb rider plus an extra 300 lbs of accessories so if the two of u together r more than 550 lbs then u shouldnt do it i ride my son all the time im 200 lbs and so is he and i dont have any problems

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
the vn750 was made to hold a 250 lb rider plus an extra 300 lbs of accessories so if the two of u together r more than 550 lbs then u shouldnt do it i ride my son all the time im 200 lbs and so is he and i dont have any problems
I have to disagree in the interest of safety. There is no way a VN750 can carry that weight SAFELY. The GVWR is 918 pounds. The wet weight is around 530 pounds. Accessories and equipment around 20 pounds, clothing about 20 pounds, plus 400 pounds rider and passenger. That puts you at 970 pounds, 52 pounds over GVWR. You have no safety margin. Yes the bike can carry the weight but it is not safe. JMHO

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have to disagree in the interest of safety. There is no way a VN750 can carry that weight SAFELY. The GVWR is 918 pounds. The wet weight is around 530 pounds. Accessories and equipment around 20 pounds, clothing about 20 pounds, plus 400 pounds rider and passenger. That puts you at 970 pounds, 52 pounds over GVWR. You have no safety margin. Yes the bike can carry the weight but it is not safe. JMHO
You are right JM2001. I can't find my Clymer manual right now, but IIRC the VN750 dry weight is 487 lb, and coolant, oil and gas adds another 30-40 lb. I DO REMEMBER that the maximum additional weight allowed was 397 lb. That includes any chromed parts such as engine guard, luggage rack, highway pegs plus windshield, saddlebags, extra running lights etc. Then you add the rider, passenger and their riding gear. Two lightweights might be comfortable on the back of a VN750, but I have got to say heaney, that two 200 lb riders puts you right at the upper limit of recommended GVW, without any additional gear or accessories.;)

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Old thread but, info is info. I wish that I had thought about pre-weighing all of my additions to the bike before installing them. There is NO way I'm about to take it all off so I can satiate my curiosity about the cumulative weight penalty I've added.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And then you see photos of guys in Asia hauling crates of heavy produce on tiny cc motorcycles and scooters, and have been doing it for years.

And I've seen folks with heavily loaded small bikes touring the world on them.

I think if you and your wife weigh over 250 each my first question is how comfortable can you be given the limited seating arrangement on the Vulcan?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts