Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Sears tire inflator/compressor that, after 25 years of use, is beginning to lose its punch.

I am looking for a good quality replacement (that runs on AC) to keep my auto and motorcycle tires properly inflated. Any recommendations?

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
There are 2 schools of thought here.

You can go first class, and pick up the "Cycle Pump"...and have probably the best made, and designed specifically for motorcycle use:

http://bestrestproducts.com/celestia/products/cyclepump/

Aerostich carries the Cycle Pump, so it's a safe bet that it's a quality unit.

Before I buy one like that, I'd want to know for sure that it draws 10 amps or less--which is the max safe output for the VN750's electrical accessory leads.

The other school of thought is to merely go to Walmart and pick up the cheapest made-in-china unit you can find, that meets your requirements--in the automotive department.

Your choice, Dude....:)

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There are 2 schools of thought here...
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm looking in a third direction. I want a pump that: 1) I can plug into the AC wall outlet in my garage, and 2) is reliable/durable. The Aerostitch cycle pump air compressor is not an AC unit; and I don't want to grab a cheap unit at Walmart that will fall apart or burn out.

Hmmm... on second thought, the Aerostich product looks like it has an adapter that will let me draw the juice off my car battery via the cigarette lighter socket... that would work since I usually fill the tires in the garage where I keep both bike and car. And it WOULD be helpful to know that could draw juice off the bike battery while on the road -- I'll check with Aerostich to see if they can tell me how many amps their unit draws. (I have a trickle charge connector on the bike that's easily accessible.)

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Whatever floats your boat, but I think most other people on the forum (or elsewhere) would agree that the time(s) you're most likely to really need a tire pump are places other than your garage.

A tire pump will do you waaa-haaay more good if it's one that you can take with you, on the road, and work off of your vehicle's cigarette lighter or accessory leads.

Besides, your car or bike battery should easily be able to handle the brief loading from a tire pump, anyway.

That's also why the a/c-powered units aren't so easy to find.....

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
... but I think most other people on the forum (or elsewhere) would agree that the time(s) you're most likely to really need a tire pump are places other than your garage...
A little clarification... in our blended family of 8 (including six children between the ages of 14 and 21), the air pump is used most often to keep the tires on the multiple cars blocking our driveway topped off. As for my motorcycle... I've owned 4 bikes since the early 80s and have never used a pump in any other place than my garage because I make sure that the tires are properly inflated before I leave the house.

Of course, now that I've said that, I will probably have a flat in the middle of nowhere! (In fact, a couple of years ago I could have used a portable unit when my Camry had a flat tire in a construction zone on I-75 outside of Saginaw, MI at 3:30 in the morning!)

The portability factor makes me lean toward the Aerostich. I'm assuming it has enough oomph to top off car tires too (it has been reported that troops in Iraq are now using it to inflate jeep tires while away from the base). And I can pack it on the bike when I go touring.

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
You should go back to Walmart..they sell a nice cheap AC unit that I use all the time in my garage..has a built in gauge and comes with adaptors for filling basketballs to air mattresses. Think is was around $20.00...

Now, that said, they also sell a smaller 12 volt unit, that many folks have bought , torn apart, and made into a even smaller unit they can carry on their bike.
Some have bought the unit put out by "Slime" tire sealent..(don't use the sealent, but buy the pump) was on special at Autozone for awhile, again , under $20.00 without the rebate.

I think if I had that many cars/bikes in my driveway to deal with, I'd blow a bit more cash and by a small compressor from Sears...

KM

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I use a Campbell-Hausfeld air compressor w/13 gallon tank. Works for the cars, the bike, the bicycles, the nailer, and all my other toys as well. Of course, it's definitly not portable but I never run out of air. :)

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I use a Campbell-Hausfeld air compressor w/13 gallon tank. Works for the cars, the bike, the bicycles, the nailer, and all my other toys as well. Of course, it's definitly not portable but I never run out of air. :)
I agree. I use a compressor a lot. I have a "non-portable" one in the garage and I carry 12v ones in a couple of my cars. The bigger one in the garage will pump up a tire MUCH faster than a portable one - especially a big car or truck tire.

EasyRector - with all those teenagers, I think you need to go for volume!!! :p;)

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I bought a Campbell Hausfeld Professional about 10 yrs ago. I am not sure of the size, but, it has been a good compresser. I got it from Harbor frieght free shipping to my house.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've had a small Coleman 120v direct drive compressor for 10 years. Small size and plenty of power. Gets lots of abuse (5 kids) and still runs like a champ. I also have a portable air tank, 8 gal 120 psi, that I can pack up and go (not on the bike) when needed.

Suggestion: Buy the largest most powerful on you can afford, you won't regret the extra power and you will be able to do a lot more with it. Painting, buffing, blasting, tires, grinding, sanding, just to name a few.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have a husky with a 2.5 gallon tank 120v. I use it at home for everything and it is small enough to go in my MH. It handles my MH tires if I kick the regulator up to 120 PSIG. Knock on wood but I have never needed a portable 12V unit. Just lucky when I had my flats.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can go first class, and pick up the "Cycle Pump"...and have probably the best made, and designed specifically for motorcycle use:
http://bestrestproducts.com/celestia/products/cyclepump/

Aerostich carries the Cycle Pump, so it's a safe bet that it's a quality unit. Before I buy one like that, I'd want to know for sure that it draws 10 amps or less--which is the max safe output for the VN750's electrical accessory leads.
I wrote the Aerostich people. Their tech person wrote this:
This product pulls about four amps when running normally such as filling a motorcycle tire. However, when inflating over sixty pounds it can pull between 7-10 amps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts