Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my OEM Kaw. gaskets in today and was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks in installing. Know the flat side of the gasket goes towards the manifold, while the slightly tapered side goes towards the manifold pipe.

Anything??? This is my latest endeavor to eliminate the deceleration popping...

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
First off... Everyone I know uses Harley gaskets...Perhaps someone has the part number handy?

I always put a bit of bearing grease on the gasket to help hold it in place ... It burns off after a few hard miles.

But yeah, serious about the HD gaskets..

Edit... HD part # 17048-98 ....knew I had it somewhere....;)

KM

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already ordered and have the Kaw OEM gaskets...

·
Registered
137 Posts
i used the kawi ones aswell what I do is put a film of copper sealant in the head port before i stick the gasket in the raised pyramid section faces out towards your exhaust pipe so when you bolt it down it will crush the gasket against the pipe to fill in any deformity :smiley_th

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
are the exhaust gaskets just round ring-like gaskets? Sorry, I'm used to exhaust gaskets on cars, I had a completely different image in my head, so I just want to make sure I don't order something else.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Got my OEM Kaw. gaskets in today and was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks in installing. Know the flat side of the gasket goes towards the manifold, while the slightly tapered side goes towards the manifold pipe.

Anything??? This is my latest endeavor to eliminate the deceleration popping...
The only advice I can give from experience is to spray the nuts/bolts with PB Blaster and go slow when removing them. If you meet a lot of resistance, use the PB Blaster more and work the nut back and forth until it is removed.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
are the exhaust gaskets just round ring-like gaskets? Sorry, I'm used to exhaust gaskets on cars, I had a completely different image in my head, so I just want to make sure I don't order something else.
Like a little copper donut.:)

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
2 X on what Knifemaker said....the harley gaskets are much better....I had trouble with seating up the Kaw gaskets on my V&H Cruzers......grease holds them just fine. It usually all burns off during the first bike warm up after install.

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
Use ths smallest amount of grease that will hold the gasket in place. It will smoke like crazy while it burns off, so use a very small dab.

Here's the Harley gaskets:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
totally agree with the grease and x10 the PB blaster for the two nights before and then warm up the bike some before taking the nuts off.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the suggestions guys. Wish I would have asked first before ordering the Kaw. over the HD gaskets...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts