Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shop near by believes my no start issue is related to a timing issue. Last year I pulled the motor to replace the cam dampers as well as the stator. I know or am 99% sure the cam gear was put on the spline correctly and was lined up with the flywheel timing mark. My question is did the chain have to be in line with the spline that the flywheel goes on? I know things got spun a little bit when trying to get everything lined up and its caused me to believe that I messed something up there. The videos on youtube he already had the flywheel on at the start so I'm a tiny bit lost on how to make sure everything is set correctly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you line up the mark on the Left Side Balancer (Crank Damper) mark with the crankshaft mark?

As long as the mark between the shaft and the balancer lines up, as well as the balancer and flywheel you will be OK.

But if you just lined up the marks between the balancer and the flywheel, the crank shaft and balancer might not be aligned properly.

I mention the punch marks in this video.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Check for spark at the plugs. Make sure that you have a good connection for the pick-up coils. Also check for fuel by spraying some carb cleaner into the carbs via the tubes used for vaccuum connections.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recall lining up the punch mark with a white line or mark on the spline. As far as spark for some reason I keep testing the right side. I did get a nice red hot spark for the rear right, as far as the the front I haven't seen any red hot spark, I did see a small blue spark and you can hear a delayed popping sound but every time I test that one the battery is normally really low from me hitting the run button too many times. Though the last time I checked it, my hand placement was wrong and I got a decent shock from the tester, which would assume I'm getting something to the wire. As far as fuel, I think I'm fine there cause I do get a rich fuel smell after trying to crank the bike over.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Spark should be blue/white, not orange/red.. orange/red= low battery voltage, bad coils, or faulty plug wires. blue/white is perfect spark.
X2^^^^^ That`s just what I was going to say slim. :smiley_th

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright with the bike connected to the car, not running it doesn't start. So I decided to start all over from the start. Motor has been pulled. When I drained the oil I seen some white color, kinda like the coolant mixed with the oil some how. Have some pictures I'll post in a few. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the side case and double check everything there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. I put the flywheel on the shaft when it was not at tdc. I now have the rotor shaft at tdc but before I put everything back together I wanted to verify it all. Could putting the rotor on while it was off of tdc caused this issue? Also there is a raised mark on the rotor shaft, should this be going into the grove of the rotor? also does it matter at what point the rotor and balance line up at?

·
Registered
245 Posts
does it matter at what point the rotor and balance line up at?
YES. There are punch marks/lines on each that need to line up.
I mention those marks here.

The flywheel/alternator rotor can only go on the crank shaft one way due to the key, so having a cylinder at TDC is not necessary.

As long as the marks line up between the balancer gear and the flywheel, and the balancer gear and it's shaft, you should be fine.

If you did not remove the cam chain behind the flywheel I cannot see how the timing could be off.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
YES. There are punch marks/lines on each that need to line up.
I mention those marks here.

The flywheel/alternator rotor can only go on the crank shaft one way due to the key, so having a cylinder at TDC is not necessary.

As long as the marks line up between the balancer gear and the flywheel, and the balancer gear and it's shaft, you should be fine.

If you did not remove the cam chain behind the flywheel I cannot see how the timing could be off.
:smiley_th A (warning: very large!) picture of the marks is here: http://i.imgur.com/cd0Or.jpg

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Alright I will triple check those marks and reassemble. The "key" for the flywheel on mine is flat and only raised a tiny bit. Should it stick up more? I could take a picture of it if need be.

Side note, what could be the cause of the milky white substance that was found in the oil be from?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Side note, what could be the cause of the milky white substance that was found in the oil be from?
Likely moisture from something. It could be a coolant leak.

I might be a good idea to check your water pump mechanical seal. if it's not that, it could be a leaky gasket.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm yea it wasn't like that when I first drained the oil last year. I'm thinking of leaning towards a moisture issue as the carbs were off the bike for awhile and I didn't block off the port holes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts