Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Time for a new....

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  OlHossCanada 
#1 ·
Rear tire!!!Looking for a affordable rear tire good for short/local rides.Bought one couple years ago in the $50 range...Shimino or something.What size you guys running??(Would like to stay stock).

#3 ·
You mean Shinko.

I run shinko 230 tourmaster front and rear; my oversized front (110/90/19) was under $60 shipped rear was like $75. Read the "sticky" or vulcan verses for upsizing and pics. I went with oversized front but stock rear myself as the rear is already large for the frame IMO. The oversize front makes speedo dead-on.

They are quiet and grippy but have a reputation for wearing down more quickly.

#8 ·
Stock tires are front 100/90-19.
I switched out to one size oversize a few years ago. A Challenger by Kenda in a 110/90-19.
It rides and handles well, and makes the speedo very close to accurate.

IIRC it was Knifemaker who pointed out sometime ago the odometer is accurate with the OEM size, and reads a few percent high with the oversize front tire.

The stock rear tire is 150/90-15.
Some/many members have reported installing 170/80-15 tires without problems.
The side walls are very close to the swing arms but do not rub.

I am not convinced the 750 NEEDS a bigger tire as the 1200cc Goldwings had the 150/90-15 size tire too.
The 1500 cc GW went up one size to a 160/90-15.

However having said that, I am going to the darkside in the next few days and installing a 165/80-15 car tire.
(The same size as fits the old VW Beetle.)

I have read a lot about it, and 90% of those who have tried it say they will never come back to a m/c tire on the rear wheel of a cruiser.

For any who may be interested here are some links.

Dark Wing--Darkside Gold Wing (car tire on a Gold Wing)

The Dark Side

Riding on the Darkside

Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.