Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last November I purchased and installed a new voltmeter. Granted I went for a pretty cheap one on EBay (less than $10.00) but it was waterproof and supposed to be fine for motorcycles. Unfortunately it seems it is not suited to the new normal of exceedingly hot days. My bike seldom sets in the direct sunlight for more than 30 minutes straight (while I am in a store) as I only take short trips around town and for my own comfort (the seat gets hot) I try to park in the shade whenever I can. I doubt if it is still waterproof but it does still work. Although due to distortion it is a little hard to read. Any recommendations for one with a glass lense?

Material property Bumper Hood Motor vehicle Font

· Registered
10,831 Posts
Mine has a row of LED lights in various colors. It was around $12-15, but the Kuryakyn was selling for $40 several years ago.

LCD screens don't stand up very well to sunlight, and it looks like we're getting pummeled with UV-C now, which isn't supposed to happen.

· Registered
10,831 Posts
They get better as you go deeper, I sorted by lowest price first.

· Registered
10,831 Posts
Just to give you an idea, this one is similar to what I'm using, but not identical.

Edit.... Here's the same one as above, but $7 with free shipping.

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one is a red LED that flashes when the voltage is less than 11.5 or over 19.8. I guess. I have seen it flash after the battery is fully charged and tI am sitting at an idle at a red light. My stator is the original I think and the most voltage I have seen is 13.5 so I do not expect to see a high voltage signal. On EBay now I see the original seller is no longer selling the voltmeter but others are. I looked back and see I paid $14.00 total. However, now I see ones just like it for around $8.00 with free shipping. Others I looked at appear to be identical except for the low/high voltage warning. They were as cheap as a few dollars with free shipping.

Originally I was going to use an analog gauge I had as a extra for one of my Rancheros but I know it is not waterproof. Honestly I did not expect the heat damage that occurred . I just rode last week and it was fine. Also this has been one of the coolest weeks in a while, Only a few days were over a 100. All the rest were in the mid to upper 90's.

I remember the one you bought Spockster and if it has lasted this long with no problems perhaps I will look for one like yours as much as I can. Unfortunately, the Kuryakan for $40.00 is probably not at that price any longer and I don't see one on their site. I will send a email to Aerostich to see if they know where theirs is made. I see they are big on riding wear made in this country.

· Registered
163 Posts
I've been very happy with mine so far. It hasn't been exposed to much weather since I installed it a year ago, but it certainly saved my bacon when my RR failed this summer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FS3R1MQ/

It was also a cinch to install. I've got it mounted on the handlebars right next to the clamp/holding plate.

Edit: OOPS - AND it's unavailable!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts