Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place in the forum for this but...I want to tilt my handlebars back towards me about an inch (or less) to bring them closer in. It seems like a pretty straight forward deal. But just to be on the safe side, is there anything more to it than loosen, tilt, tighten?

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place in the forum for this but...I want to tilt my handlebars back towards me about an inch (or less) to bring them closer in. It seems like a pretty straight forward deal. But just to be on the safe side, is there anything more to it than loosen, tilt, tighten?

Thanks!
Undo them but make sure you're sitting on the bike while it's on the centre stand - position them where you want them and get a mate to nip them back up. Get off it and "YOU" tighten em down nice n tight (can't blame ya mate if they move that way ;) ) then take it for a ride - an inch will make no difference in the grand scheme of things, IMHO I'd be considering a different set of bars.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
It's usually best to use a torque wrench to tighten those bolts. Tightening them too much can ruin the bolt and tightening them too little can cause the bars to shift over time. The proper torque for the bar bolts is 17.5 ft-lbs.

Most people just tighten them without a torque wrench, though. Probably it's OK but if you're going to make a bunch of adjustments, don't over tighten them each time.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
It's usually best to use a torque wrench to tighten those bolts. Tightening them too much can ruin the bolt and tightening them too little can cause the bars to shift over time. The proper torque for the bar bolts is 17.5 ft-lbs.
Yeah, what RubyRick said!! :smiley_th
Ya certainly don't want to have any troubles with the steering while cruisin' down the road!!
Also, be sure none of the cables or lines have any interference after ya move the bars.
Like Carl said, an inch wont make a big difference, but it could, over time, if a cable or brake line is rubbing.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
When I moved mine back I had to readjust the levers a little, not hard, just 2 - 10mm bolts on each side. You'll want the master cylinder sitting as close to level as possible.

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Actually, one of the biking "gurus", a former career motorcycle cop called "Motorman", (search these forums or Google and you'll find the link) , says they should be adjusted so that you can go left stop to right stop "comfortably" without having to over-reach in either direction. Makes low-speed maneuvering MUCH easier. So if you need to bring them back more than an inch, don't be afraid to do so. Just keep your cables clear per Ruby/Hyper and try the suggestion from Carl, sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies.
The main reason I wanted to tilt them back was because I think it may help with the lower back pain I get after riding a while, as well as shoulder ache. I realized that my hands are above my elbows and thought I could mitigate that with the tilt downward. That way my forearms would be more level and I'd be using less effort to keep them up. Worth a shot. Thanks again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.
The main reason I wanted to tilt them back was because I think it may help with the lower back pain I get after riding a while, as well as shoulder ache. I realized that my hands are above my elbows and thought I could mitigate that with the tilt downward. That way my forearms would be more level and I'd be using less effort to keep them up. Worth a shot. Thanks again.
There's plenty of reasons for lower back pain as we all know, but some fixes I've seen have been extended forward controls - dunno why that works but it does, a different set of bars, seat replacement or mod - basically it's all trial and error as everyone's different. Good luck with it anyway and keep us informed on how you get on, what you do could help someone else.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PO'ed at my PO

So I remove the caps and immediately see that the two forward bolts are stripped and the two lower are on their way. Even if I could get the forward ones out, which I can't see how to do, I'd be out of commission until I got replacements. So for now, the bars are staying right where they are. Bummer.

750Doug's hammer suggestion is looking better and better....

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I rolled mine back an inch or more and it made a much more confortable ride for me.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
So I remove the caps and immediately see that the two forward bolts are stripped and the two lower are on their way. Even if I could get the forward ones out, which I can't see how to do, I'd be out of commission until I got replacements. So for now, the bars are staying right where they are. Bummer.
Hey there, DblAA. Sears makes a handy tool called the Screw Out (model 52154) for just a few $. You basically use a variable speed drill at SLOW speed to drill the bolts out. Wait until you have the replacements, of course. Then use a clicker type torque wrench to tighten the new bolts. You can get a very inexpensive but effective clicker torque wrench at Harbor Freight Tools.

Looks like your PO didn't use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts, and they got stripped.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tip, Rubyrick - I wonder if they carry the replacement bolts too! Need to dig out the specs on that one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts