Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys ,got a 1986 vn 750 and the engine is tight when hot, any clues to what is causing this ,been recently rebuilt, new oil pump,water pump etc is it just a case of running in ? thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
hi guys ,got a 1986 vn 750 and the engine is tight when hot, any clues to what is causing this ,been recently rebuilt, new oil pump,water pump etc is it just a case of running in ? thanks
Did you check/ adjust the piston ring end-gap before essembly?

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Sorry to be off topic, but WTH, because I wanted to congratulate you on a very fine introduction here on the forum. You told us all a lot about your riding/wrenching experience and did so in such a short paragraph. Excellent job. By the way, I was just wondering who did the previous work on the motor and if you were involved in any way just in case others had some questions to help them understand and give you a proper answer. Seriously, you coould try running it a while and maybe it will loosen up or possibly blow up. Best answer at the moment with the limited information you supplied. Good luck.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Sorry to be off topic but WTH because I wanted to congratulate you on a very fine introduction here on the forum.
You and Doc should be the "Newbie Intro Coordinators" since that's pretty much all you two talk or comment about.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
You and Doc should be the "Newbie Intro Coordinators" since that's pretty much all you two talk or comment about.
Yes I don't post on any other boards here.just the newbie section.(we really need a sarcasm smilie) Tom doesn't either.never do either one of us talk about anything else.maybe you should be the Coordinator for the Newbie Coordinators.

·
Competent Noob
140 Posts
Agreed and Docs classic "welcome to the nucking futhouse" just gets me every time. :boxing:

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Well it seems someone has to make an attempt to explain what so many were never taught and failed to learn on their own. If OleDirtyDoc and I were to follow the same lack of respect and manners here then I am sure we would be givien a warning or banned like others have been. Doc and I claim no exclusive use of manners or respect so you are more than welcome to join in anytime.

PS
Please do a search and notice that not my posts are only about a proper introduction. Also notice that a moderator recently made a sticky about how to go about doing an introduction. Darn, don't you hate it when anyone can go ahead and check out the truth? The fact is that there are two stickies by moderators (one past and one present). I guess they felt it was important if they took the time and made the effort.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Well it seems someone has to make an attempt to explain what so many were never taught and failed to learn on their own. If OleDirtyDoc and I were to follow the same lack of respect and manners here then I am sure we would be givien a warning or banned like others have been. Doc and I claim no exclusive use of manners or respect so you are more than welcome to join in anytime.

PS
Please do a search and notice that not my posts are only about a proper introduction. Also notice that a moderator recently made a sticky about how to go about doing an introduction. Darn, don't you hate it when anyone can go ahead and check out the truth? The fact is that there are two stickies by moderators (one past and one present). I guess they felt it was important if they took the time and made the effort.
How about we learn Mandarin Chinese, Tom, and answer them in that.that would be hucking filarious

·
Competent Noob
140 Posts

PS
These stickies indicate introduction posts are not required, and that's the truth!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
I think I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Uh, Jethro join in 2012. I thought he was here before.

Anywho, did you bleed the air out of the cooling system? Also, is the pistons original or new? Crank bearings?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
So basically one post in three years?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
What symptoms lead you to believe the engine may be getting tight after warmup? Slow cranking? Excessive heat? Sluggish acceleration?

Are you sure you aren't dealing with a defective starter? A bad starter often will turn a lot slower when hot, if it turns at all.

Many parts of an engine will become looser after warmup, instead of getting tighter.

You could check drag with a torque wrench turning the nut on the rotor, get readings hot and cold. If there's not a lot of difference, I would suspect the starter.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
What symptoms lead you to believe the engine may be getting tight after warmup? Slow cranking? Excessive heat? Sluggish acceleration?

Are you sure you aren't dealing with a defective starter? A bad starter often will turn a lot slower when hot, if it turns at all.

Many parts of an engine will become looser after warmup, instead of getting tighter.

You could check drag with a torque wrench turning the nut on the rotor, get readings hot and cold. If there's not a lot of difference, I would suspect the starter.
exactly spock, lots of possibles other than engine.. need more info before we can dig in

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi thanks for your response , i did not fit new rings as old ones ok,so i did not check the end gap,i replaced the crank, con rods,fitted new shells and had to replace one crank case side as main bearing was cracked plus other ball bearings as necassary and did the upgrades on clutch and gear change rod, i have not adjusted the ignition pick ups and maybe this is causing me hot starting problem .since rebuild i have done about 100 miles so could be just more time to bed in is there an additive i can put in the oil to help free things up ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks will try torque on rotor

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah need some lube

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well sorry to have upset ya with my intro but didnt mean to be rude and this web site is not the easiest i have navigated but will pick it up i hope any way thanks for your input

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well after been running for half hour, when switched off pops and just struggles to restart by the way how do you show changes made to your bike on this site ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts