Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't able to put my 750 in the garage this winter so I just pulled the battery, emptied the tank, threw on a cover, and hoped for the best. As we are now having a spring heat wave and are up into the 40s I decided it was time to get the bike up and running. It started ok with a fresh tank of gas but the throttle won't turn more than half a centimeter or so. I tracked the cable back to the throttle lever (yes I realize its not the right name, i'm clueless on mechanics) and I can't get it to move at all. Any ideas on what could be wrong or things I could try to narrow down the problem?

·
Registered
738 Posts
IMHO the best and easiest cable lube is a moly/graphite dry lube called Dri-Slide's Bike Aid, available at most motorcycle and bicycle shops. The needle applicator means that you do NOT have to remove the cables to lube them. The dry lube means that it doesn't attract as much dirt. Cost about $12, enough to last several years. Once a season will make those cables last as long as the bike. I did mine, including the speedometer, in February. Took only a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
IMHO the best and easiest cable lube is a moly/graphite dry lube called Dri-Slide's Bike Aid, available at most motorcycle and bicycle shops. The needle applicator means that you do NOT have to remove the cables to lube them. The dry lube means that it doesn't attract as much dirt. Cost about $12, enough to last several years. Once a season will make those cables last as long as the bike. I did mine, including the speedometer, in February. Took only a few minutes.

My only issue with this is that the speedo cable spins... Creating alot of friction , and should be greased , not coated with oil or graphite. You would not use dry slide on wheel bearings or driveshafts... Right?

KM

·
Registered
900 Posts
I got to ask.. did you happen to take the cables off pryor to storage and them put them back on?....it is possible (not easy to do) to get the push pull cables switched.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts