Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to take my engine out for some repairs and was taking out the throttle cables and apparently after 20 years, that plastic is a bit fragile.
I have aftermarket grips that I like and I'd like to keep them if possible. But I can't get the sleeve out.
Is there some possibly off ebay that I can get or Amazon that would work? All I can find is the grips with no cable holder...
Or would it be okay with just the pull?
Would it be possible to epoxy a piece of plastic or metal onto here? I'm guessing no haha

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
I saw some throttle sleeves on eBay. I'm almost certain it will fit from other bikes as long as they're for 7/8" bars. So KLR, Ninja, etc.

You can find the ISO grips with sleeve for about $25. I love them, going to put a set on my ATV.

Looks like a 22 shell will fit right in those holes. Not sure if that could be a good fix or not. I know part of the slot can be broken off and the housing will hold the cables in place. Your's is missing the largest part of the hole though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys! i ended up finding the throttle side on ebay for $9 - didn't even think of ebay until you guys mentioned it.

the previous owner kept everything original that he replaced, the grips, radiator hoses, badges, etc. if he ever replaced it, he kept the old ones as a back up.... so i do have the grips (no innards) i agree with spockster that i like the way they feel, may just end up running the stock ones... i can't get the sleeve out of the aftermarket ones, have a feeling he may have glued it in place.

i just spent a good chunk of change getting the gaskets that are leaking, wasn't looking forward to paying more money, but $10 isn't going to kill me too bad :)

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
It's probably glued, had to glue mine twice. Need something to soften the glue, acetone maybe, but I'm not sure what that would do to the grip.

On my old grips I stuck an air gun between the grip and bar and inflated the grip. Popped right off.

Thinking I should have a spare throttle sleeve somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Just because a throttle sleeve fits 7/8" bars does not mean it will fit inside the switch housing of any bike with 7/8" bars. 2002 Kawasaki VULCAN 750 (VN750-A18) Handlebar | Cheap Cycle Parts It looks like they only sell the throttle sleeve and grip together now. Part #46019

I have had 3 Vulcan 750s, 2 bought brand new, and ran them all with only the pull cable. The throttle feels a lot better that way, and snaps closed instantly when released. The second cable is supposed to be some kind of safety device, but it seems to me it is less safe with two cables. The second cable just creates more drag, and is something else that can bind, causing the throttle to stick open. All bikes used to have single cable throttles. There is a spring on the carburetors which closes the throttle. If it does stick open, which is highly unlikely, just hit the kill switch under your left thumb.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Depends on whether it actually makes the bike safer, or less safe. I have owned a lot of different bikes and belonged to a lot of different forums. Dual cable throttles always seem to have more problems than single cable throttles, and it's pretty easy to see why. I didn't recommend removing it, simply that I removed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts