Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Throttle cable question

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  rev it up 
#1 ·
Are both throttle cables the same? My bike only had the pull cable on it, not the push cable. Reason i ask if they are both the same, on ebay it doesn't specify if they are selling the push or pull cable, so i am assuming they are both the same?

#2 ·
In the parts diagrams there is different part numbers for them but the only difference I can tell is one comes with the little fitting that screws into the bottom of the throttle grip housing it basically holds the two cables in place.

#6 ·
I recently had this issue. I needed a push cable and figured I would replace both. I bought a push and pull from Motion pro, but from two different websites, limitations in stock.

After some careful examination,. they sent me the wrong push cable, and I checked the motion pro website. They use the same cable for both on our bikes. This is because they have a pretty wide adjustment range on their cables.

So, long story short, I tried using the motion pro cable as my pull (go), and my stock pull as my push (don't go). Didn't work, stock pull was too short to be a push cable. When I reversed them and kept my stock pull as a pull cable and used the Motion Pro "pull" cable as a push, it all fit perfectly (I just had to remove the bracket that holds the two cable together from the Motion Pro cable.

So in summation, the stock cables are different lengths, slightly. It is hardly noticeable. But the Motion Pro cables for push and pull are the same length and are completely interchangeable. I recommend purchasing from jakewilson.com.

I would stay away from Cheap Cycle Parts for this order as they are the ones that sent me the wrong cable, and it took twice as long to get it as the one from Jake Wilson.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Dea six6six
I checked my bikes cables and both cables are pull one opens each carb and a spring closes the carb. I believe the reason for the 2 cables is to sinc them.
Hegman
This is not accurate. One cable opens the throttle body which feeds fuel to the carbs. The other cables pulls on the opposite side of the same lever - hence a push/close cable.

To get a better understanding of how they work it helps to open up the housing on your handlebar where the run switch is. Then watch how the cables move as you twist the throttle.

EDIT**

If you don't have a push cable the throttle will still close, but in my experience it can be sluggish and hang open for a couple of seconds, resulting in a revving engine for a few seconds after you let off the throttle. This is the condition I bought my '91 in and led me to believe that my carbs needed a good cleaning. When I noticed the broken push cable and replaced it the problem went away instantly

#11 ·
i doubt it,,i been riding my VN without a decelerate cable for 9 years now !(the same cable aswell). Kid is right though,it can at times (most of) hang on the revs for a second or two. I have both the cables brand new ready to put on one day..the accelerator cable is shorter than the decelerator cable,,the accelerator cable has the cable guide attached to it !.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.