Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92' Kawasaki Vulcan 750.
I accidentally pinched the throttle cable and can't get it to pull.
I need to replace it. Any tips on how to remove it and how to
install a new one.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Pretty straight forward. Lube new cable before installing if it isn't already lubed. Detach old cable at both ends, securely tape top of new cable to bottom of old cable, and pull old cable out. This will route the new cable properly. Attach new cable ends and adjust as needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thrttle cable install

How do I go about removing bottom end under the carb? Do I need to remove the entire mechanism it is attached to? Or?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
I'm going from memory here, and it's been a while, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. IIRC, I adjusted the top of the cable to get slack and slipped the cable end out of the retainer. Then repeated for the bottom end. No need to undo the bracket (I think).

The procedure should be in the downloadable manual available on this forum, or in any service manual. A manual is a very good investment.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Getting the push cable back in without removing the carbs is a PITA, but it can be done. Just be patient - and if you can get someone to give you a hand, that should make it easier. It's just awkward under there.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
It helps to open the throttle and put a finger behind the lever to hold it. Then there is slack in the cable. I use a 6 inch hemostat to handle the cable and pull it from the lever. It's so much easier than trying to stick fingers in there and is really nice for putting the cable back on!
I had no need for disassemby of the brackets.

The hemostats are great for handling fuel lines and other wires and cables. I don't know how folks work on bikes without them.
Bronson

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just changed the throttle cables today.
Attaching the push cable to the carb side was a major PITA.

I did not have a hemostat but I found an old car "tire plug tool" in my tool box.
I used it to grab and twist the cable, and a small screwdriver to help position it, and was able to put the push cable in place.

I did it with the throttle in the open position (at the carb side), and before connecting the other end of the cable to the grip for maximum play at the carb side.

Hemostat should work much, much better, but it could be done with a tire plug tool also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts