Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a thrift store today and found a women's leather purse that looked like it could be modified. The leather straps were originally one strap across the top. If you look closely, you can see where I cut it off. This first photo was after I'd split the strap into two pieces to test for fit. Drilled holes with a Dremel and used machine screws with washers and bolts + threadlock. Had to make some small incisions in the liner, but who cares? I'm only gonna use this for carrying bottled water, a handful of tools, and maybe a little herbage.

Shoe Plant Automotive tire Chair Automotive lighting


Making sure the straps don't interfere with the rear storage box mounts....

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle


Plant Motor vehicle Grass Automotive tire Fender


Everything looks good, so time to cut the straps straight down the middle and add velcro. I used Harbor Freight two-part epoxy (clear, $1.49) to attach the Velcro permanently.

Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve Gadget Font


Epoxy is still in the curing stage, but I'll post a photo after I've attached this to the bike. Originally, I wanted to use this as a fork-mounted mechanic's bag, but it's a little too tall. Until I get my saddle-bags, this will be a handy item.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Necessity is the mother of invention!

Epoxy at HF huh? Gives me an idea everyone with the VN750 can use.
Can't wait to hear the idea!!!

I went in there to ask if they had something like JB-weld, and they have all kinds of glues and epoxies. If you want a pic of what I bought, let me know.

I did buy some JB-weld at Walmart because it's just got a good reputation, but I needed something that I could use liberally for other random projects.

I tested this stuff by mixing some up (it's clear) and gluing a piece of dense plastic to a piece of scrap metal. Let it cure for 24 hours and I couldn't pry it apart with tools. Eventually, the plastic broke before the glue epoxy did.

As of right now, the epoxied Velcro seems dry and cured, so I'm gonna go attach this bag now. I'll post a pic shortly...
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top