Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Thoughts about bars....

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  niterider 
#1 ·
Obviously all have their own prefs...which is one reason I added this thread...
My stock bars were slightly bent upward mostly one side (from a drop), and both when I got the bike.....insane angles for actual use...
So, I yanked em, placed em in a pipe vise, and slowly/gently heated the bends. With a long pipe at end of bar, was able to bend em back to stock. But I didnt like the bend.
Im 6'1", so I need a lil more stretch. So I bent em a lil forward. Cool !...and now a lil bit up....awesome !....

What Im trying to get thru, is that you can "mold" the stock bars to suit you...sometimes...inless you want drags or apes....all it takes is a 3' pipe to fit over bar, a pipe vise, and a propane torch.
Now that Ive ridden mine, gonna swing the ends a lil further forward, but almost perfect now.
Key is to heat gently/slowly, else will compromise strength and damage chrome.

#2 ·
Dark and smoky with a sticky floor and well endowed barmaid .....

Oops ..... not that kind of bars?

#3 ·
I was taught that you should put your bike on the center stand, sit on the bike with your hands on you lap, close your eyes, and after a few moments, keeping your eyes closed, reach out with your hands to where it feels the bars should be...

Open you eyes and see where that is in relation to the bars you have, and make the needed change.

#4 ·
Good point...

Good point Knife, kudos....do what you described then have a friend note the position...great idea. Could end up just getting new bars then...which is no biggie....Ted's Cycle Shed (mebbe called V-Twin, or similar now) had a wall of different bars and bends...talk about a neat place....anyone near New Hampton, NY sould check it out for custom stuff...really just one big warehouse....I think they showed it on that OCC show (ya, Orange County Choppers are in my county...NY not CA...:zzz:)....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.