Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Theres a Vulcan 750 for sale.
Its a 2001 model and at 3500 miles. The guy is selling it at a great price for $2000.

Question...

Ive heard about the rear shaft spline problem, where the splines were not greased properly from the factory. My question is, at 3500 miles, is this something i should worry about? Should I bother getting the splines checked before buying, even with such low mileage?

Are there any other considerations I should know about or anything else I should check before purchasing the bike?

Thanks!

Anthony

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You should probably check the charging system. Take a voltmeter and check that the bike is charging right.

I would believe at 3500 miles the splines shouldn't be a problem but you should definitely lube them when you get it. If I'm wrong about this, someone chime in though.

Also, a 2001 with 3500 miles seems like it sat for a long time... ask if it's been sitting around lately or if it's been on the road. If it's been sitting around it probably needs some cleaning of the fuel system.

If it starts up and idles and runs fine, just some seafoam in the gas tank should clean up the system and keep it free of gunk... however, if it idles rough or doesn't run right, it might need to get the carbs pulled to clean them. It can all be done with the info on this site and everyone would be happy to lend some aid.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Yeah, I'd be more concerned about fuel/carb issues than the splines ...(although I'd lube them up first thing if I bought the bike)

3500 miles in what ? Ten years? Seems pretty low... These bikes don't
Like to sit around.

+1 on checking the charging system.

If the bike don't run... , I would..

·
2,520 Posts
Seems like that's a really good price for that year and milage. :smiley_th

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Hey guys,

Theres a Vulcan 750 for sale.
Its a 2001 model and at 3500 miles. The guy is selling it at a great price for $2000.

Question...

Ive heard about the rear shaft spline problem, where the splines were not greased properly from the factory. My question is, at 3500 miles, is this something i should worry about? Should I bother getting the splines checked before buying, even with such low mileage?

Are there any other considerations I should know about or anything else I should check before purchasing the bike?

Thanks!

Anthony
Go for it man, they're GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!! You going to have some minor problems with any used bike. The bonus of this one, besides the fair price, good year, and low mileage; is this site. Any problem you have with the bike, we can and will help you fix. Go for it dude.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Ummmm, I personally think that $2K is great price for that bike, esp if it's in good condition. I second what everyone else said about seeing how it runs first.

But if it runs well, I totally agree with LP up there : this site will give you the knowledge, wisdom, and support you need to take care of almost any issues you may come up with. Mine's a 1989, and it had only 7700 when I bought it. Thanks to the great guys (and ladies I think) on this site, I have been able to keep it running top notch.

I did end up replacing the carb assy, but more because the PO broke the entire piece that holds all the idle linkage clean off it - I can't even imagine how.

Personally, I love mine : easy to ride, quick, handles well both in town and on the freeway, looks good, comfortable to ride - need I go on? Lol

If you do get it, be sure to post pics and fill us in on all the details.

Oh, and ride safe :)

AZ Kev

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you're going to join this site, you may as well bite the bullet and get the bike.

Things to look for:
It runs
No major oil leaks (grit and grime all over the engine)
Doesn't blow white smoke (a possible sign of coolant leak)
Electrics work.

Cosmetically:
No major dents or flaws in the paint.
No tears/cracks in the seat.

Not that it has to be perfect, but for $2k, you should get a bike that is in reasonably good shape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, ill let you know if the deal goes through!
Liberty, they do look like GREEAAATT bikes haha.

I have had a motorcyle in a number of years (switched to vintage scooters for the past three years). But lately ive been wanting to take longer road trips again.

The Vulcan look like a great do all bike with great features for the price!

Oh, and from the looks of it, the bike is in perfect condition. Im going to see it tomorrow.

Also regarding it being the end of season...I live in the bay area, so the season might last a bit longer here.

-Anthony

·
Registered
686 Posts
yeah, i'd be more concerned about fuel/carb issues than the splines ...(although i'd lube them up first thing if i bought the bike)

3500 miles in what ? Ten years? Seems pretty low... These bikes don't
like to sit around.

+1 on checking the charging system.

If the bike don't run... , i would..
^^^^ x2 ^^^^

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Welcome! There, with that out of the way, I'd offer a couple hundred atleast. People usually have wiggle room. So if it runs & is in good shape then even at $2000 I think it would be worth it. I paid $1800 for my '91 4 1/2 years ago & it had 8600 miles on it. I've got alot more than that on it now!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
One more thing you got to know... if tires are 10 years old, replace them right away.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hmmm, I'm thinking I'll stick with 5 yr. on a cycle, I think I can control a 4 wheeler with a blow out better than a 2 wheeler, besides feeling safer in the 4 wheeler ...
I had some not too old (+/-3 yr.) Firestones on a trailer that had already started to show some dry rot cracks, I took it by the Firstone dealer and was told it was only cosmetic, well when one blew out on the interstate it was not the least bit cosmetic to me... I almost lost my Ranger bass boat & near new Silverado PU... I felt like goin back and seein if I could whip that sorry AH... I have not nor will I ever buy Firestones, this was after I had a set of Firestones recalled on a car due to the Gvt. forceing them to recall'em... That's enough experience with Firestones, and dry rot for me...lol...
Just remember if you error on the safe side, you can tell about it, if you error the other way someone else may tell it their way...lol...
So, I'm stickin with 5 yrs. although I don't think I'll get any cycle tires that will get that old...:(... I wish I could get 5 yr. out of them...:)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
54 Posts
New bike

Bought my 2000 earlier this year. What a bang for the buck it has been..Momma even likes it...It goes great on ANY terrain short of dirt bike ruts and will keep up with bikes more than double its size. It looks good, runs good, and any comments quickly die after riding and then finding out the price tag. You can mod it until your hearts content and the folks here are knowledgeable, they have been there. Hope it runs well for you.:smiley_th

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I wonder if tony flew the coop and we're talkin to ourselves here lol.. I agree old dog, 5 years seems like a good number. For your interest and input, I was told a while back that sidewall dry rot is mostly a cosmetic issue, although the guy did say stay off the highway until you replace it, and that the danger is when the dry rot is in the tread area. That's when you're likely to have a blow out. I still ordered one anyway but thought I would share it here. Dry rot is not our friend whether in the tread or on the side. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts