Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has an '05 with low miles . I just saw it on their website today,and have not gone up to look at it yet,but from the pictures it is a very nice looking bike.
My questions are: With the v-twin is the vibration very bad? i used to have a 800 intruder and it would shake going down the highway,about bad enough that in about 20 minutes of riding your hands would get numb.
Any known quirks about these bikes? Cold natured? Fuel economy?

With my size 5' 5" 155 ,there isn't too many bikes that i feel i would be comfortable on and the newer cruisers are just too heavy.

i like the looks and alum.wheels,shaft drive a plus, round mirrors are strange, can they be changed?

Any comments,help Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey man, I will go ahead and chime in.
First off, welcome to the group. great info and people here.
IMO, the Vulcan does not vibrate badly at all, quite smoothe in fact.
Yes, the mirrors are easily changed, huge variety to choose from.
Quirks, checking the electrical system is a MUST before you buy the bike. Checking the operation of the stator and reguator is vital. not super hard to do, and if the shop wants to sell the bike, they should have no problem showing you that they work.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
4 , you'll be smart if you listen to Phurp. He know his S#X*t when it comes to these beauties.
Throw down, you won't be sorry

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
There is very little vibration from the vn 750. The charging system is the weak point on the bike. Also inspect for gasket failure at the base of the cylinders.
A long extended warranty if the dealer offers one at a reasonable cost is a good investment for these machines.
Bronson

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome. Hope you have some tools and know how to use them. :)

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Buy it!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
i get 49 mpg rideing like grandpa but i usually ride it like i stole it ( with out the girlfriend on the back) and when shes not with me i get low 30's mpg . mine fires up fine cold . i ll ride it almost year round high this year has been 104 and the coldest this year -2 F quarks dont let them sit !!!!!!!!! period and the charging system blows other then that there cheap to maintain and work on < imo

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I've only worked on a few bikes, but from what I hear from bike shops, the Vn750 is a pain the arse to work on. But that's just what others say. I worked on mine some, but it was old and every bolt either stripped or broke. I'd buy something FI, but that's just me.

Oh, and I can't see how shaft drive is a plus, especially on this bike where they don't lube the splines!

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Definitely does not vibrate much. Its a balanced v twin and pretty smooth. I find it comfortable to ride for up to about an hour before I need to get off for a bit (not the bikes fault really, it's me). I agree with what everyone has said so far. Definitely have them show you that the charging system is ok and you might inquire about if/when the driveshaft splines were checked and lubed. Those two things are real important. I've had a few bikes and I've had my Vulcan since 05 and it's one of the most fun motorcycles I've owned yet. Take care.
Dave

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Think of shopping for a bike this way...

"When you are still shopping, you're the boss. After you buy it, they (the seller) are the boss"

Also....

"People respect what you inspect--not what you expect"

With this above in mind, before buying the bike, inspect the following:

1) Have the stator and regulator/rectifier checked, to see if they are still performing within factory specs.

2) Have the (rear) driveshaft splines inspected, and lubed as necessary (if splines are dry, or nearly so).

3) Have the bike's battery load-tested, to make sure it's in good shape, too.
If it isn't, have them replace it with a sealed (AGM) battery.

4) Test ride the bike, if at all possible. Make sure it starts and idles well from a completely "cold" start; also, make sure it accelerates smoothy at speed. See if you can set the choke, and if the choke lever stays wherever you leave it (it should). If it can't start, idle and run smoothly from cold, you may have major carb work ahead.

5) Inspect the bike's frame beneath the battery box (it's under the bike's seat). If you see where rust has already started on the bike's frame underneath the battery area, walk away from the bike and the deal.

6) Check the tires for adequate pressure (especially b4 a test ride), and also check them for sidewall cracking and signs of dry rotting. The original tires on my '05 were Bridgestone Exedras, I believe. If the tires are more than 6 years old via the date code on the tire sidewalls, have them replaced.

If they give you a hard time about any of the above, simply remind them that the bike isn't being sold with a warranty. Thus, you are just doing buyer "due diligence". If they still give you strange looks or bad body language or other, simply take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of VN750s out there; if you are serious about one, finding another isn't really hard.

If in good shape and proper tune, this bike is extemely smooth from idle all the way to redline. I have over 20k on my '05--and I wouldn't have kept it for 5 years if it wasn't a smooth, fun ride....:)

Good luck with your bike search....let us know how it goes....(i.e., the bike, and the search......:beerchug:).....!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The splines ,that everyone is talking about,you mean the ones from trans. to the rear-end or the very rear itself.? I thought on shaft drive ,the very rears got splash lubed with the gear oil.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The splines ,that everyone is talking about,you mean the ones from trans. to the rear-end or the very rear itself.? I thought on shaft drive ,the very rears got splash lubed with the gear oil.
The ones on the input (pinion) shaft on the final drive, where the driveshaft coupling goes on. Between 2000 and 2002, the factory shipped quite a few without the splines greased properly, or not greased at all. Poor maintenance by owners of other years gave 'em all a bad rep. Being a '05 with low miles, it's prolly not an issue, but I'd have 'em checked, anyway.

The parts that get "splashed" by gear oil in the "very rear" are the ring and pinion gears themselves, inside the final drive housing, or rear end.

Jim

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
You can do an "abbreviated" check of the bike's stator and regulator/rectifier by simply taking the bike's seat off with the bike on its centerstand (not the sidestand!)--and putting a voltmeter/multimeter on the battery terminals, while running the bike at progressively higher rpm's.

Note the voltmeter readings at 1,500 rpm, 2,000, 3,000, 4,000 and 5,000 rpm.

The trend should (generally) be up. On a bike that new, at 1,500 rpm, you should see a reading of 12.5 (or better) volts.

The higher rpm's should yield higher voltages (but not to exceed a voltmeter/multimeter reading of 15 volts--max).

If you get an up trend for voltages in this rpm range, you can then safely assume the bike's charging system is functioning ok.

Hope this helps....:smiley_th

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
..... or, you could just buy a Vulcan from a VN750.com member who has already done all the work..... like mine... :smiley_th

·
Registered
120 Posts
..... or, you could just buy a Vulcan from a VN750.com member who has already done all the work..... like mine... :smiley_th
....except he already sold the pipes :p

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
My local dealer has an '05 with low miles . I just saw it on their website today,and have not gone up to look at it yet,but from the pictures it is a very nice looking bike.
My questions are: With the v-twin is the vibration very bad? i used to have a 800 intruder and it would shake going down the highway,about bad enough that in about 20 minutes of riding your hands would get numb.
Any known quirks about these bikes? Cold natured? Fuel economy?

With my size 5' 5" 155 ,there isn't too many bikes that i feel i would be comfortable on and the newer cruisers are just too heavy.

i like the looks and alum.wheels,shaft drive a plus, round mirrors are strange, can they be changed?
Any comments,help Thanks
I don't think this was addressed, yes - they can and should be changed. They're referred to as "mickey mouse ears" round these parts and aptly so. Don't go too cheap on mirrors; the plastic ones don't last, come unscrewed at high speeds, and may break during installation. Go with something middle grade at least.

·
Registered
12 Posts
lesterlw

i bought a 2000 vn 750 about 40 days ago ,it only had 2000 miles on it and had been stored in a garage for years after owner was deceased.this is an awesome machine and I have already put 3000 miles on and average 55 mpg solo and as much as 58 on a trip.It has been 20 years since I have ridden and now I am completely into it again.this machine has it all and will run right along with an HD ultraclassic ,you know a 20K machine.Only problem is getting accessories and I am solving that now by putting cheap 11X11 throwover bags from Rural King $50 and will find a carrier and trunk soon or just big sissy bar bag.If you want a yard ornament buy a HD if you want to ride buu this with its short wheel base you can turn around on any 2 lane road without putting the feet down.It is pretty smooth for v twin but not as smooth as say an older 4 cylinder Honda or any metric.My pipes are stock so it sounds beutiful not like a lot of noise like so many do.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The ones on the input (pinion) shaft on the final drive, where the driveshaft coupling goes on. Between 2000 and 2002, the factory shipped quite a few without the splines greased properly, or not greased at all. Poor maintenance by owners of other years gave 'em all a bad rep. Being a '05 with low miles, it's prolly not an issue, but I'd have 'em checked, anyway.

The parts that get "splashed" by gear oil in the "very rear" are the ring and pinion gears themselves, inside the final drive housing, or rear end.

Jim
Here is a link to fergy`s spline lube so you can see exactly what needs to be lubed.
Note wib`s addition starting with discussion at post #34, and pictures at Post #44 for cleaning and lubing the rear wheel hub to final drive connection as well:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

Link to Vulcan Verses:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/verses.php

Look through the topics and see what interests you before going to buy the bike.
Good luck in the hunt for a nice healthy Vulcan.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts