Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend at work has 08 900 custom (very nice bike with only 3500 on the clock). He just bought a Meanie and has to sell the 900. His first bike was a VN 750. Which is why I bought mine (well actually when I saw his and how it was made and engineered I knew this was the bike for me).

So anyway he's looking to sell the 900 and I'm really thinking about it. But I'm asking for opinions here. You all have a depth of knowledge about bikes in general and Kawi's in particular that is hard to find elsewhere. So let's hear it, the good and the bad.

R

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Hey Ron, I only sat on one at work and didn't like it. Seemed too low for me. Have you taken it for a ride?

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not yet. I'll probably go up and ride it this weekend.

Hey John, We've got to get out for a ride soon. Maybe we should ride up to Johnnys Hot Dogs for lunch some Friday.

R

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I have a meanie and wouldn't consider a 900. If you want to step up, step up. There are a bazillion used 15/1600's out there in all kinds of flavors.

IMHO, if you think you've outgrown the 750, you need to go to a 15/1600/1700 for a real difference.

Notice your buddy is selling his 900 because he bought a meanie.

Jon

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jon,
Here in Jersey we pay a higher insurance rate once you step above 1KCCs. Yeah I like the Meanie and you're right I'd like to move up but I just can't swing it financially.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I hope they come out with the special edition meanstreak again....any chances it might happen? I really liked the red and black with flames...

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
The 900's are nice enough, what it boils down to is his asking price, thats when you can decide if its the bike for you. Up here in WA State they are asking about the same price for the 900's as they are for 1500 Classics. The 900's are a wider framed and longer bike than the 750's for sure, they have a great feel when I rode my buddies but I have always believed in the philosophy of "Go Bigger Or Go Home" and for the same amount of money, easy decision. My only dislike of the 900's is that little donut front wheel they put on it. WTF???

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
the guy I bought my bike from has a 1500. He said the VN750 was more fun to ride. He said the 1500 is a hog and has no feeling of speed compared to the little 750. He might get tired of that one too, I have my eyes on it. Recently the knucklehead put stop leak in it to fix a leaky valve cover. Thats an expensive fix as he has the shop do it. Thats how I got my 700. It had a bad stator. I paid 300 dollars for 85 700 with 17K miles on it. 20K later I still love the thing.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I just helped my bro-n-law go from a rocket to a cruiser. I found him a sweet 07 900 custom. So I've had the oppertunity to do some riding on it. Honestly, I really like it. I found it to be very comfortable & smoooooooth. I think it would be a very nice alternative to the 750. Bonus, I like it being fuel injected!

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
The 900's are nice, they're more modern and don't have the dated look of the 750's (much love!) They ride nice and the FI is a bonus especially if you winter ride. If you can't go above 1000 cc's due to Jersey then the 900 sounds perfect for you. Can you post a pic of your potential purchase?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Jon,
Here in Jersey we pay a higher insurance rate once you step above 1KCCs. Yeah I like the Meanie and you're right I'd like to move up but I just can't swing it financially.

Ron
Thats sucks. They must have changed that. When I lived up there, it didn't matter. In that case, perhaps 900 it is! You don't even have to have insurance in Florida (and I don't).

Another choice would be a Honda Magna/Sabre 750. They have a V4 and are as smooth as silk. Pretty good aftermarket and following for them too.

Jon

·
Registered
659 Posts
My friend just got one and I got to ride it the other day. It's a pretty nice ride, alot lighter that a 1500/1600, but still has alot of power. The size is better for 2-up. It is a good replacement for the 750, but not really much of a step up.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I have allways liked the looks of the 900 custom...much more than the other versions. If I were in the market for another V twin cruiser and did not want to spend alot of moolah (Like getting a Victory or Harley) I would seriously consider the 900 custom.
http://www.kawasaki.com/products/product-specifications.aspx?id=274

Is it green? EFI alloy wheels, very slick. Not sure how tall you are but the seat height is great for the height challanged. And they do still sell alot of aftermarket goodies for it..compared to the 750.

KM

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
So my friend at work has 08 900 custom (very nice bike with only 3500 on the clock). He just bought a Meanie and has to sell the 900. His first bike was a VN 750. Which is why I bought mine (well actually when I saw his and how it was made and engineered I knew this was the bike for me).

So anyway he's looking to sell the 900 and I'm really thinking about it. But I'm asking for opinions here. You all have a depth of knowledge about bikes in general and Kawi's in particular that is hard to find elsewhere. So let's hear it, the good and the bad.

R
So ja git it?

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet Lib. Bernie's not actually going to sell it until he picks up the Meanie which is not till this weekend.

Thanks for all the input guys. KM seat height isn't an issue I'm 6-0 with a 32" inseam and yeah I'd love a Victory Vegas but that's not in my budget. I'm just wondering if I can oversize the front tire (like a lot of us have done with the 750 front tire) cause like wkrizan said I don't get the narrow front tire.

Oh yeah and its black on green.

R

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
You should get a special edition mean streak with red and black flames....

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I know this is a Kawasaki website but im looking at the Yamaha Star. Air cooled, simple. Thats my next step up besides a Harley. That is unless I can score on that 1500Vulcan 88 that guy at work has. Hee Hee.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Not yet Lib. Bernie's not actually going to sell it until he picks up the Meanie which is not till this weekend.

Thanks for all the input guys. KM seat height isn't an issue I'm 6-0 with a 32" inseam and yeah I'd love a Victory Vegas but that's not in my budget. I'm just wondering if I can oversize the front tire (like a lot of us have done with the 750 front tire) cause like wkrizan said I don't get the narrow front tire.

Oh yeah and its black on green.

R
When I was bike shopping, the color of the black on green 900 almost had me buying it. Only when I saw the color on the meanie (below) did my mind change. I still like the black on green better but couldn't pass up the bigger bike and still liked the goldish color I got. I hope to all things holy you get that bike man. We'll take that ride to Steward's lookin' like a Kawasaki commercial. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts