Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished putting in the new stator and regulator last night. Did the R/R relocation. Road 75 mile today on back roads. Felt of the R/R about every 20 miles and it was always harm and not HOT. Temp outside was 73 degree.

When I change the oil I put in the Mobil1 10W40 Full Synthetic high mileage. Was running the Kawasaki 10W40 last year, the only oil change I had done as I bought the bike last winter. The clutch plates in my bike were starting to stick when the engine was cold and every blue moon when warm causing the bike to have a little jerking motion when starting from a stand still. Man what a difference the Mobil1 oil made today. The clutch was smooth from the get go, Gears changed easily and smoothly, and the engine was perfect at idle and at cruising speed. Fifth gear, 65 mph, twist the throttle, and it takes off as never before with me, I am a 300 pound feller. Engine was so much quieter at idle and up through the gears. The fuel gauge hasn't moved off full. I was already getting 51 miles to the gallon. That Mobil1 is some darn good stuff.

·
Registered
555 Posts
10w40 oil really? interesting..

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil fill hole cap has 10w40 stamped on it on my bike.

Done got the MF battery. Gaping the pick up coils? What does that do for the engine? Hotter firing, changing timing, longer firing current?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
makes for a better spark curve... acording to the manual, they are supposed to be at 0.020" but they have been seen as far out as 0.080". The pick up coils are non adjustable from the factory, there is a little bit of modification involved in order to gap them.. but still only takes about 15 minutes to do

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Cleaning all the grounds and stator wire connectors behind the left side cover.

DT

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaning all the grounds and stator wire connectors behind the left side cover.

DT
My stator went to ground on all the wires, at the stator. Just glad it happen right here at the house. All three leads got so hot the silicone connector boots melted somewhat and the wiring was almost to that point.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as comfort go, the Saddlemans seat and Protec backrest are the bomb. Best investment yet for me.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This Cobra kinda sets the air boxes off. May look cheesy to some but makes the airboxes stand out. Also added the tank trim and the word 'VULCAN' to the tank.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That Cobra has no business being on a Vulcan lol. I do love Mustangs though, so I know where it comes from, I just mean there's no relation at all between a Cobra and a Vulcan. Might as well put Spock's face on the tank or something lol.

Still, it does look cool. I wanna get the tank trim too, but I also need to paint it as well.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh, kinda like a skull on a motorcycle.?! Still It covered a few boogered finns from the pervious owner.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yea, I actually like the look :) I like what I've seen so far from your bike, got any pics that show off the whole bike?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This one was taken after CHRISTmas and don't have the extra chrome in it. Got to get a new picture but it is ugly weatherwise here in Alabama today.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
That is what is reccomended for our bikes. I used it for the first few years then started using the Rottella stuff...which I think is 15w40.

I still think 20w50 is too thick for the motor, but do not want to start another oil thread here.

I never used the Mobil 1 , but it is llikely the best oil out there...it's just a bit pricey for me to rationalize using it. I debated this for quite awhile and
finally ended up talking myself out of it.

I still use the Rottella 15w40 in my FJR 1300....and many many others do also.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I still use the Rottella 15w40 in my FJR 1300....and many many others do also. KM
I used it in my Dodge 426 Hemi, and very much believe in it...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Using Rotella in my bike as well. Need to have someone do me a favor and pick me up some of it at Wal Mart... I hate not having my visa anymore u_u

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I never used the Mobil 1 , but it is llikely the best oil out there...it's just a bit pricey for me to rationalize using it. KM
This is my first time with the Mobil1. It is 15w40 full synthetic that I caught at Wal Mart on sale at $21 for a 5 quart jug. Hope it's good stuff. I use Castrol 10w30 in all my vehicles and one of them has 429,000 miles with no engine internal service work. Almost, just almost, went with Castrol oil in the bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts