·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as a MC Run Flat tire? I know it helps to buy a
good quality tire with strong, thick sidewalls, but that isn't enough help
to keep Lena or Max moving. There are car tires that are made to run
partially flat so what the hec is the hold up in making a MC tire that can
run at reduced speed for 20-50 miles or so?
................................................................................................

I have been a hold out on Cable or Satellite television because I think that
American's should get the same deal as Canadians and be able to choose
the channels they receive instead of being bundled into dozens of stations
they don't want. If all calbe and satellite subscribers would cancel there
service because they want to be able to choose the programing that comes into their living room we could bring the Cable and Satellite providers to
a more consumer related television service.

Is there a Cable channel devoted to MC's? or even Cars and MC's?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Don't know about a run-flat tire, but I was having the same concern that a flat tire will be a big hassle when my bike is stranded on the side of the road.

I ended up getting this: http://www.stopngo.com/Contents/1001.asp. It looks like it will be easy to use on the side of the road if the time comes. Hopefully I'll never find out.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I don't know what sizes of tires they make, but the cop bike comes standard equipped with run flats. Downside, they don't handle nearly as well as "normal" tires and don't last as long. The extra thick sidewalls cause more heat and less flex and make the rubber wear quickly. Don't know what brand tires they are either. Mine didn't have them on it by the time I rescued it.

Seems like there is an automotive channel, but I can't keep track of all of it. I know I have ESPN and ESPN News and ESPN 2 and the NFL network. ;)

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Mark said:
I ended up getting this: http://www.stopngo.com/Contents/1001.asp. It looks like it will be easy to use on the side of the road if the time comes. Hopefully I'll never find out.

Mark
I keep a plug set in my fork bag. Though if I had to use it, I would only run on that tire to get me to some place to get a new tire, and probably keep my speed down.
One other option for a 'run flat' would be to add a heavy duty tube. That's what I use on my dirtbike, and if I get a flat on that it holds up well enough to get me back to the trail head where I'm parked.
But then, mostly for the rear tire, is the issue of the flat tire spinning on the rim. The dirtbike has rim locks to hold the tire to the rim. To add them to the mag wheels, you'd need to drill another hole in them.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Me too.. all my tires get Ride-On added when they are put on. Added bonus with Ride-on is they can actually help balance the tire
Do not use Slime. Slime is a mess come tire change and can corrode your wheel.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
I just read up on Ride-On on their web site, and have just one question. Who distributes it (any local dealers), or where can I get some? This stuff sounds great.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If memory serves me right, I ordered it directly from them. I don't recall finding it cheaper (which is unusual) from a distributor, but maybe I didn't look all that hard. But they have an order page and chart to figure out how much you need for your size tires. I think I ordered a 3 pack, just to have an extra bottle plus what was left in another. It took like 5 oz in front and full bottle in back, again if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
If You Check Your Manuals It Should Say In There That:
the Vn750 Has Runflat Wheel Rims
THATS WHAT THOSE TWO RIBS ARE THAT RUN AROUND THE INNER RIM ABOUT AN INCH IN, HAVE A LOOK NEXT TIME YOU HAVE YOUR TYRE CHANGED I THINK ALL MODLES AND YEARS HAVE THEM.
So When You get A Puncture The Tyre Dosn't De-rail From The Rim And Send You All Over The Place.
On My Hardtail Vn I Only Run 5 Psi In The Rear When The Sidecar Isn't On And 18years No Problems, I Also Usualy Run A 155/85/15 Car Tyre.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Thanks

Appreciate the info., just completed an online order for their 3 bottle kit for motorcycles...:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
There is the Speed channel that carries both auto and bike races of varying types along with the usual hop up shows.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
And, don't forget "Fuel", another of my favorite channels. Good car and motorcycle shows, but they include other sports too like bmx, skate boarding, snow boarding, etc., but still a good channel.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Ride-On installed

I received my Ride-On 3 bottle mc kit yesterday, and the weather here has been so nice, I got it installed yesterday afternoon, then went for about a 40 mile ride to make sure the stuff was evenly coated in the tires. It makes me feel safer just knowing that it's in there...lol.:smiley_th

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
No, I know what you are talking about. The first 5 or so miles felt a little extra cushy. I can only guess that the fluid in the tires was giving them a little extra damping from road vibration? It was a nice feeling ride regardless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts