Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 VN700 dos no have the thermostat housing on it the previous owner removed it and replaced it with just straight hoses....is it ok to run that way or should I replace the original set up?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Your engine will run cooler than normal if you're running fluid through it full-tilt all the time. Probably not the worst thing for these bikes, particularly in the summer, but generally the recommendation is to run at the specified temps (and let the thermostat determine how to keep the engine block in that range). That said, it's easy enough to find second-hand thermo housing units here and on eBay for very little $$.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
It should not hurt anything to run without a thermostat. It will take longer to warm up the engine on cooler mornings. As a resullt, fuel economy will drop until warm up, and emissions will be higher.
On colder days; around here I will ride until the temps are below 30 degrees in the mornings, the bike will probably not even register on the temp gauge unless you have a themostat in place in the system.
If I could find a replacement I would reinstall another one if mine were gone.
Just my opinion. As Said above, no harm done either way.
Bronson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts