Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the cons of removing the thermostat from the bike would be. I know it can be removed from a vehicle (up to certain years) and it won't cause any type of problems. My radiator was showing some signs of leaking, but not 100% sure where the fluid was coming from. Right now I'm thinking it may be the upper hose, but not 100% sure on that one. I was wanting to remove the thermostat and run the bike for a bit to see if maybe the thermostat was bad or not. I know it would be easy to just go out and buy one, but the local dealership the thermostat would take roughly 2 weeks to get, and right now don't have the money to get it.

So the main question is if it would do any harm to the engine with running the bike without the thermostat.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Removing the Thermostat

If your bike is not over heating, I don't see what you would gain by removing the thermostat. There are two things that can go wrong with it. It can stick open or it can stick closed in which case it would overheat. It is there to keep your engine running at the best running temprature. I don't see how it could cause a leak. Maybe someone else will have more information and we both can learn.

Enjoy the Ride

Mcneuby

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
I thought someone posted awhile back that a certain toyota or honda car thermostat would work in our bike and was cheaper.

Not sure if I know why it would hurt to remove the thing, as long as the cap seals OK.

Would kinda be bad if the temps were real cold out...your motor would take alot longer to warm up.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Here is an old thread with some automotive alternative suggestions for thermostats and rad caps on the vn7XX.

Edit: update link http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5207

Read the whole thread as some of the initial parts suggested are obviously the wrong size when compared visually, according to those posting in the thread.

A 160*F t-stat from a `79-`89 Honda Accord seems to fit and function OK after a year of riding. See last post by ktullu.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike isn't overheating so I know the thermostat is still good, but it is about 8 years old as well. The reason for my asking is so the coolant will move freely through the motor with no stops from the thermostat closing to see if a leak can be found in the radiator area. I tore the radiator off the bike today and cleaned it up really good, and I don't think there is a leak in the radiator I think it was the upper hose that the hose clamp wasn't tight enough.

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
thermostats control minimum temp on all vehicles NOT MAX so on ANY properly working cooling system a thermostat can be removed with no issues other then it will take longer to warm up and will run cooler then it is supposed to... but also the circulation wouldn't be better to find your leak easier for future reference as it helps biuld pressure in the system with help of the radiator cap...

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just now found the leak. It's coming from the housing where the thermostat is at. Where there is the 3 allen wrench bolts that's where it is leaking at. Now to fix the problem.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
I guess that o-ring for your thermo housing is bad. I removed my thermostat on my '86 454 LTD and the problem was that the water would flow through the radiator so fast that at low speeds it would NOT have enough time in the radiator to properly cool....basically saying that the bottleneck created by the thermostat was engineered in to reduce the flow to give the radiator enough time to properly cool the water.....so even with the fan kicking on.....the water temp would keep slowly rising till it was in the red (that's if you were stuck in traffic for extended periods of time).......doing 35 mph plus.......the water temp was just fine......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replaced thermostat

I used the info about the Honda accord and bought a "fail safe" t-stat. Went right in like a charm. Took her out for a spin and the temp went up about half way than went back down. The clerk said that the fail safe will seal open so your vehicle won't overheat. Worth the price I feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts