Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have experience with the 900 Classic?
I love my 750 but was looking at the 900 and wondered if it would really represent a step up. I ride primarily on back country roads where the 750 shines, but highway riding for any length of time has left me wanting a slightly bigger, heavier bike. Hate to admit it, but I have also considered the Yamaha 950 or the Harley (heaven forbid) Dyna Low rider or super glide.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
The dyna low ride is a really nice looking bike. A co-worker has one.
Yes it is, but I saw one on CL after I wrecked my vn750 (Clyde) at a real bargain... I drove 90 mi. to look at it and as soon as I sat on it I got off and came home... It was really a sharp bike only 6K on the odometer, and well worth the money, but everything felt like someone else's not me... The owner tried to get me to ride it but I didn't even want to ride it, felt that bad to me...
However if you are a big road long Dist. rider and a bigger bike person it might suit you to a tee...Which probably the 900 Kaw. would also...
I did go with a 1200 Sportster against everyones advice and am happy, but thats just how and where I ride...
BTW-I still miss my vn750 (Clyde)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
900 Classic

Thanks for responding. Still looking for people who have known the wonders of our 750 Vulcan and can give a candid opinion of other bikes that are just a little bit bigger.
Metric or Harley....

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I dated a girl in the Air Force for about a year who had the 900. I let her ride the 750 and she let me ride the 900. She wouldn't get on the meanie, she said it was too heavy.

Alas, here's my review:

Looks
The 750 is dated. It looks like it came out in '86 cause it did. The colors are dated as well. The 900 is cleaner, way more modern including colors, and alot sleeker. Its lower and longer too which adds to the modern look.

Weight
The 750 is a quick, light, torquey little thing that's relatively easy to handle. If you're turning around or backing up over grass you don't feel like you're wrestling with it. Conversely, you also have to be careful going over bridges on windy days. The 750 lightness is good in most circumstances but not all. The 900 is no where near as touquey. It has plenty of get-up-and-go in middle range rpms and you're not using the clutch as much since you have 150 more cc's. I wouldn't say you're wrestling with her over grass or while moving her around but she's considerably heavier than the 750. On that note, there's absolutely no worries going over a bridge on windy days.

Shape
I feel like I'm kinda sitting in the 750 but feel like I'm sitting on the 900. The 750 has lots of stuff in front of you - the gauges, the bars. The 900 doesn't have that much stuff in front of you. The 900 is longer and lower and considerably more comfy. The stock seat ain't bad either. You do lean slightly more forward on the 900 though. There's more of a stretch to reach the bars - not considerable but noticable.

Handling
The 750 is quicker and more responsive cause its lighter and has WAY more touque. If I were going to do some serious twisties I'd take the 750. The 900 took some getting used to. It felt, at first, like I could only lean so far. Once I got used to her I loved the handling. Its lower so when you lean it really feels like you're over further than you are. Once you get used to that, the added power of the extra 150 cc's is really handy. She's still relatively light in the twisties but you have to have more skill and focus to keep speed with the 750 cause she's longer and heavier.

Overall the 900 is more modern so its easier to work on, a little better looking (IMO), and has more aftermarket goodies available. Its not a bear to manage but its more 'wrestling' than you've ever done with the 750. Its still a Kawi too so its reliable. If you're looking for something more modern in every way, lower, longer, more comfy, with a little more power - the 900's your bike.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The 750 is my second bike... and I really do like it even though it's a bit smaller than a giant like me should ride for long hauls (IMO).

My first bike was a Vulcan 800 Classic. It was a beautiful bike and it fit me much better than the 750. I spent a lot of time on that sled and took some serious long rides on it- as far as Florida! Great styling and very comfortable. I could imagine the 900 being in that class when it comes to comfort. I haven't ridden a 900 myself, but the pix I've found look really nice and considering my experience with the 800, I'm sure it's big enough to be more comfortable.

Although I haven't owned one, a good friend of mine has a Harley Dyna Wide Glide. This is actually the bike I'm eying now since my 750 is in pieces in my garage. I'm trying to justify the expense and to find enough cash to buy one while the weather is cold. It's big, longer than the 750, and quite comfortable for long rides. I wish I could get the bike without paying for the harley name though..

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I haven`t ridden a 900, but a friend`s son has a 2008 Custom that I have sat on last summer. I too like the styling of the bike. Over on the Kawi Vulcan Forum, I believe I read that there is an alternate, intermediate drive belt pulley that has a couple of more teeth so you can drop your cruising RPMs, if you do a lot of highway riding.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I'll toss in my vote for the Yamaha (Star) 950. Review here:

http://tinyurl.com/ykwls8k

Rode one at the dealer a few months back , liked it. If you are a bit on the short side , like having a inseam of 30 or less, this bike is would be perfect, I think it has a 26" seat height.
(But still a nice bike if your taller)

KM

·
Registered
308 Posts
For the tall and fat guys like myself, I like the feel of the Boulevard M50. Its got a wide body and feels comfortable. The 800cc and the 1500cc are the same bike, just different engines. I like the ride of the VN750 but sometimes I feel like grape ape on a kids bike lol

·
scooterboy
69 Posts
Hi All Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I bought a Victory Vegas the end of November and I enjoy the hell out of riding it. My 750 was a 2006 that I bought new. I put 12K on it and it looks better than when I brought it home from the dealer. I followed the recommendations from this forum and from the Yahoo group. The Vulcan is an absolute gem not one bit of trouble, thoroughly enjoyable riding,handling and performance. I can only hope that the Vegas is as good

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Beware, Fellow Riders--if you lean the Vulcan 900 as far and as hard as the 750, you will crash the bike........:doh:

The 900 with its floorboards simply does not have the available lean angle that the 750 has--so it's not the same ride as the 750 on a curvy or twisty road.

The 900 is a nicer bike on straighter sections of road, especially the interstate. Its additional weight makes for a nice turnpike runner.

The 750 has other niceties like shaft drive, a centerstand, additional instrumentation, tubeless tires, etc, that the 900 doesn't have.

The Yamaha (Star) 950 may be a nice bike otherwise, but pay careful attention to its valve adjustment intervals (6k-8k miles)....:(...this is totally unacceptable on a modern motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
......The Yamaha (Star) 950 may be a nice bike otherwise, but pay careful attention to its valve adjustment intervals (6k-8k miles)....:(...this is totally unacceptable on a modern motorcycle.
How hard is this to do on a V twin? I know the New Concours has a rather short valve check interval, and yanking all that plastic and dealing with all those valves does sound like not alot of fun, but how difficult is it checking the valves on a aircooled Twin?

That does seem rather low however. I think the reccomended valve check on the FJR is 25,000 miles....and I am not sure if I will end up doing it myself or not..........

KM

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The 750 is definitely a spunky bike, quick on the throttle and nimble, easy to throw around and light weight. Because of it's seat height, I tend to disagree with someone above who said you sit "IN" the 750 and "ON" the 900. That might just be a personal thing, but the lower slung saddle of the 900 IMO makes you feel more like you are sitting in the bike. The 900 I rode, again in my opinion, was a real disappointment as far as power. It's a nice looking bike, but that's about all I could say about it. At highway speed it still had a quite high rpm and didn't feel like I was riding a bike with a bigger motor. It felt like a bigger bike with a small motor. Of course I had been riding my 1500 for several months, and my impressions might have been a little different if I had climbed off my 750 and onto this bike. His 900 was a classic, set up similar to mine. It felt pretty similar, just sitting on it, although his bars were a little forward for me. I have risers on mine and it brings them back a few inches. What is amazing is that my 1500 weighs only about 30 lbs more than his, dry, and his tank has a little higher capacity than mine. The big factor was in the ride, and the power. He got off mine after we rode about 20 miles and said, "HOLY CRAP"! His is FI and mine is carbed. Still, the difference in power is substantial. He still loves his bike, but said he might look for a 1500 used to have for longer trips.

A bunch of folks on the other forums that include the 900's are replacing their factory saddles for the same reasons most find the 750 saddle uncomfortable, and most find the 1500 saddles uncomfortable on longer rides as well. So that seems to be a KAW thing.

I've ridden a couple Harley's, a Road King and a Sportster 1200, but didn't ride either long enough to give an opinion of the seating. I like the looks of a lot of the Harley's, but haven't found anything in the ride that would justify spending that much for a bike, in fact, I think the ride of my 1500 is hands down, much better than the Road King in every aspect. Only rode the Sportster about a mile so I can't really compare it to anything.

I'll summarize by saying that for the extra few pounds of the 1500 compared to the 900, the power output is stunning, and the handling is pretty much the same, so I would have a hard time looking at a 900 after riding both. Plus, there are tons of aftermarket accessories for the 1500 since it has been a major bike in the KAW stable for a while. And they can be had for pretty good prices (paid $4900 for mine with 8700 miles). One other thing, the Vulcans, with the hydrolic valve adjusters, while noisy, are much more maintenance free. You wanted opinions! Good luck with your search! :smiley_th

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Fergy, I wasn't going to say but I wondered about the power bit too... I had been told by the Kaw. shop that my vn750 would blow the 900 away, so I looked up the Specs. and the 900 is 620# which is quite a bit heavier and puts out only 58'# torque @ 3500 rpm & 50 hp @ 5700 rpm... So go figure, where is the beef...???
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Hey Old Dog, as I recall I encouraged you to test ride the Sportster, so not everyone advised you against it.

Adelaiddarling, my two cents:

Last summer at Americade in Lake George NY (tourexpo.com) I got to test ride the Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I'm 5'2" and lucky if I even have a 26" inseam. My VN750 has the stock seat and was not lowered at all. When I stop the bike I usually either have one foot flat on the ground or both feet on the balls of my feet. On the VN900 at stops both of my feet were flat on the ground! :wow:

Initial impressions of the VN900 were that the rider and passenger seats were much roomier and wider. The bike's foot print was larger and longer than the VN750. It would need more space in the garage and be just a little bit more work to push into a pickup truck if needed. I really liked that it had fuel injection but couldn't understand why a 2009 bike didn't have hazard lights when a bike designed in 1986 does. I liked the floorboards and it has a heel-toe shifter.

On the road that heel toe shifter started to really annoy me. My VN750 only has a toe shifter with floorboards so I can move my foot around as I please. The heel-toe shifter on the VN900 locked my left foot into one location while my right foot was free to stretch out or shift rearward. After a few miles the wider seat caused my hips to start to cramp and that heel-toe shifter became a real pain for me since I couldn't move my left leg around as freely as my right.

The windshield was nice and wide and did a fantastic job of keeping the wind off of me. However as the speed picked up an air pocket formed behind the windshield and actually started sucking me forwards towards the bars. The faster I went the more it felt like I was doing pushups and after a while I was pretty sick of that too. It was a bit hard to tell how fast I got the bike up to since the speedometer is on the tank and I wear a full face helmet, I couldn't really glance it. The bike was very steady the highway with some cross winds compared to the VN750.

We also rode through some twisty back roads. The VN900 felt very stable when leaning, it has nice wide bars for good leverage, nice wide tires for good grip and a the extra weight helped keep it going smoothly in any direction I pointed it in. The VN750 feels like it can change directions a lot easier, which makes it more fun in the twisties but also feels slightly less planted than the VN900. One thing that really irritated me was since we were riding as a group I was stuck riding at the speeds of my fellow riders and on the VN900 I kept hunting for the right gear to be in on twisty roads. I kept shifting back and forth between 1st and 2nd if I'm not mistaken. On the VN750 I always seem to hunt for a 6th gear on the highway and always seem to be a bit disappointed that there isn't one.

Equipment that I really did not like on the VN900 were: Tube type tires, no hazard lights, no center stand, no tachometer, speedo on the tank, the heel shifter and the windshield that sucks the rider forwards.

It's a very nice bike, but not for me. If I was a bit larger, took a passenger more frequently and did a lot more highway riding then maybe I'd be tempted. But as it is, I'm am very happy with the VN750.

(The only two things I'd change about the VN750 would be to add a 6th gear and add fuel injection.)

-Sloppy

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Hey Sloppy, did you notice the revs were a little higher than you expected them to be at speed?
I know that wide tank causes a wind pattern to snake around it that was hitting me right in the chin and causing my head to bounce around, felt it on my 1500 too until I put the lowers on it. Going from a VN750, the wider tank takes some getting used to.
I miss the gauges above the bars, badly miss the centerstand, have gotten used to the wide tank though. However, I love the 1500's low seat, feeling like the center of gravity is much lower, the way smoother ride of the heavier bike and the way it absorbs the road, and that slower cadence of the exhaust really makes me grin, a lot. I grin even more when I remember what I paid for it.

Oh yeah, 5th gear on the 1500 is basically an "overdrive" gear. If you feel like you need to reach for a higher gear, it's always cause you're in 4th! :)

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Sloppy, I don`t have any experience with adjusting windshields, but I know I have read several threads, maybe on other forums, about having to fine tune the height and angle of a new windshield to suit the rider. I`m sure the lower deflectors that fergy mentioned, could be adjusted to help eliminate that vacumn pocket too.

If a guy really wants the 900 Vulcan with tubeless tires, go to the Custom. It doesn`t have the laced spoke wheels, so is probably tubeless, but I can`t find anything on the spec sheet that says one way or the other.

After reading fergys posts, I am thinking that if/when the time comes for me to look for a bigger bike, the VN900 just isn`t going to cut the mustard powerwise, to haul this bulk of mine. I will have to talk my friend into switching bikes for a ride next summer, so I can try his 900 custom, and watch the surprised look on his face when he cranks on the throttle on my 750! I feel a little bit bad even asking him because he is so happy with his 900. It is his first cruiser, but he had ridden dirt bikes previously. After feeling the power of the 750 he might be disappointed that his bigger, newer bike doesn`t have more git up and go.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts