Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been thinking. I wanted to be able to charge my riding can and my phone but not have to look over them or have them out for prying eyes. I have come up with the idea to use the factory "tool box" as a charging station and also will have toggle switch when not needed so I don't kill my battery. My headset can still Bluetooth my phone and I don't need to have my phone out anyway while riding. What are some of your ideas on this? I plan on having the USB charger go through the original hole in the back with hideaway wiring.

Attachments

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
sounds good to me. but I'm not sure why you'd need the toggle switch. couldn't you just unplug what ever your charging? I don't think your phone would drain your battery if left on the bike while the bike was parked for a while. Hmm.....although I'm just a Dolt, so what the hell do I know?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I agree with Ruger...He's a Dolt. JK. Shouldn't need a toggle unless you forget your phone over nite. The other thing is you may want to pad the tool box so your phone doesn't bounce around. Just a thought.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
I agree with Ruger...He's a Dolt. JK. Shouldn't need a toggle unless you forget your phone over nite. The other thing is you may want to pad the tool box so your phone doesn't bounce around. Just a thought.
I agree with Birddog........he's right, I am a Dolt! :laugh:
padding the inside of the tool box would be a very good idea. or at least figure out a way to secure you phone while in the tool box so it doesn't bounce around.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
the padding is a good idea.we don't want your bike but dialing people

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am at work 10 hours a day so if I left my phone charging then it could potentially kill my battery, our charging system just isn't top notch. The toggle would be a bonus to conserve power while the bike isn't running. Or I could hook it into an auxiliary harness but I don't want to fuss with that. I have already waterproofed and padded the inside plus utility strap on inside through the groves keeps the phone upright so it can charge without breaking the cable. The issue I was worried about was if there was enough clearance behind the box to the seat for an install. I'll measure it out today.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
I am at work 10 hours a day so if I left my phone charging then it could potentially kill my battery, our charging system just isn't top notch. The toggle would be a bonus to conserve power while the bike isn't running. Or I could hook it into an auxiliary harness but I don't want to fuss with that. I have already waterproofed and padded the inside plus utility strap on inside through the groves keeps the phone upright so it can charge without breaking the cable. The issue I was worried about was if there was enough clearance behind the box to the seat for an install. I'll measure it out today.
hmmm, a cell phone charging off a motorcycle battery for 10hrs could kill the motorcycle battery? what kind of cell phone do you have? one of those "Brick" phones like they had on "Miami Vice"?! :wink2:
really though, would it really drain the bike battery that much? well, you could also, just charge your phone the night before at home. or maybe pick up a rechargeable battery back and plug the phone into the battery back and leave it in the tool box. like I said I'm just a dolt, and it's still early yet. I'm sure there is more than one way to get your phone charged. but I do like the idea of having a power port in the tool box. :smiley_th thanks for the idea. that gets my wheels going now too. way cool! :smile2:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Family like to go on rides, like 400-600 mile rides, don't always stop where I can charge up. Plus my camera only has 2.5 hr battery life so I would like to charge on the go so when we hit national parks I can video it.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Get one of the marine USB ports, they should have proper protection for weather just in case you get stuck out in a downpour.

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I really liked the idea of that one, too, but I went with Knifemaker's dash and installed a USB charging port on the dash. I hooked it to a switch for when I'm not using it and have a phone holder on the handlebars.

Might not be quite what you're looking to do, but the convenience of charging AND having Nav on handlebars is awesome on a motorcycle!

(relevant pics here)

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
sounds good to me. but I'm not sure why you'd need the toggle switch.
I'd go with the toggle switch and hide it inside the tool box. If you leave the USB live, who knows who's plugging into it when you're not around.
:surprise:

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
I'd go with the toggle switch and hide it inside the tool box. If you leave the USB live, who knows who's plugging into it when you're not around.
:surprise:
ok, but from my understanding, the port would be in the tool box with the toggle switch, which would be locked so who is going to plug in to it and how would they turn it on? besides, who would plug into it anyways?

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
Family like to go on rides, like 400-600 mile rides, don't always stop where I can charge up. Plus my camera only has 2.5 hr battery life so I would like to charge on the go so when we hit national parks I can video it.
but if you are charging on the go, then the bike is running and there shouldn't be any problems charging the battery on the bike and/or your camera.

I have a set up that when I ride, I can charge my gps, phone, mp3 player and/or any other device all at the same time while riding. never had a problem with the battery dying. even used it on long trips like the one you are talking about. where I am away from home for many days and the bike never gets put back on the tender until I get back home. still never had a problem. my system/set up does not have a toggle switch.

I also bring along rechargeable battery packs too. just for back ups or if we decide to go for a hike and need power for something. there is no outlets in to woods. :wink2:

I just don't see the need to put a toggle switch on it. but hey, it's your bike do as you please. it's all good. :smile2:

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
ok, but from my understanding, the port would be in the tool box with the toggle switch, which would be locked so who is going to plug in to it and how would they turn it on? besides, who would plug into it anyways?
Oh.. Well that's different.
Never mind! :smile2:

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
You aren't going to kill the battery. Your phone battery is at most 3600mah and your bike battery is at least 20,000mah leaving you 16,000mah to start and drive with. you good

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The idea failed, there just isn't enough room behind the tool box without cutting into the frame of the seat. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
775 Posts
See my above post to see how I did my charger on my bike, or just mount one of those voltmeter/chargers on the frame or handlebars.

I seriously doubt prying eyes would hook up a phone to charge on an unattended bike, and even if they did they'd be stupid to LEAVE it there long enough to kill the battery 'cause then you'd have their phone!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts