Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 185 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Did the mod correctly as far as I know. Almost immediately after pressing the start button, the wire out from the stator caught on fire. Wtf. I'm actually super pissed about this. Looks like there were many wiring mods done by the previous owner.
I did the same mod yesterday in an attempt to check a problem I was having and it made no difference. The directions, video and still pictures were pretty good and seemed simple enough so I doubt that you messes it up. You just may need to start with a known "good" wire harness. Before you go too far check all your connections for melted plastic and bare spots. Check the obvious spots first such as under the neck covers. I along with many others had a short caused by a pinched wire on the metal locking tab for the forks. Remove any concealing tape and look at each wire separately from the others. Be thorough as I missed the problem the first time. Good luck

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Check all of the grounds as well

·
Registered
570 Posts
Stuck on step one... Black/Red?

To be sure,... the connector is the lower of the two on the JB. Looking at the wiring schematic in the manual... it shows a black/yellow stripe there too. And that's all i can find on mine.

Lydia is an 1987. I am having issues pulling the plug without damage. Molex plastic has dried and looks like some battery spill in that area long ago. Trying to delicately SHOVE it out.

:grin2:

tried prying on the corners etc...

in any case, still have yet to find this black/red stripe wire. Is it the black/yellow? I have triple checked this between this thread, the manual and the plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
1) At the Junction Box, find the 10-pin connector (smaller of the two)

2) Locate the yellow/red stripe and black/red stripe wires

It's the smaller plug, 10-pin, so the bottom plug. Or just count the holes, including empty holes.

If the spades are corroded from the battery acid, that can be a problem and they need cleaned/tightened..

My wiring diagram showed the yellow/red changing colors at the plug under the fork neck. My bike (2003) has the yellow/red continuing all the way to the Junction Box from the start button.

So there seems to be variations with different diagrams.

·
Registered
570 Posts
[/B]

It's the smaller plug, 10-pin, so the bottom plug. Or just count the holes, including empty holes.

If the spades are corroded from the battery acid, that can be a problem and they need cleaned/tightened..

My wiring diagram showed the yellow/red changing colors at the plug under the fork neck. My bike (2003) has the yellow/red continuing all the way to the Junction Box from the start button.

So there seems to be variations with different diagrams.

Right... so getting that plug out without destroying it is the next *real* step. I gave up today after about a half hour messing with it. Will be going back to it tomorrow early before the sun has its way.

I found the YELLOW/RED-stripe wire. NO problem.

I have to find the BLACK/RED-stripe wire. I have three blacks. One is solid black ( ground i suspect ) the other is black/white-stripe ( listed in service manual as well ). and the third is a black/YELLOW stripe. That's also listed in the service manual.

On the LOWER, TEN PIN connector on the JB... that is correct.

And in the service manual also, it shows a black/yellow a black, and a black white.

Service manual has - Black/Yellow Black/White & Black.
My bike has the same - Black/Yellow Black/White & black.

The instructions for this mod say Black/RED

Where is this black/red coming from before it hits the JB? I cannot find a black/red on either connector.

Either way, that plug needs servicing for sure... Whoever designed this bike had very tiny hands.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
The Japanese have genetically altered a race of midgets to assemble their bikes.ever try to remove carbs on a 1000 goldwing and you'd understand ;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Japanese have genetically altered a race of midgets to assemble their bikes.ever try to remove carbs on a 1000 goldwing and you'd understand ;)
Pretty sure that JB is coming off tomorrow before the plug is, one way or another. That little "double" spring latch on the front side should be just a push down and pull. I've tried prying that latch, slinking a flat head to its base along the face... on both sides... between the crack. . .

Should we have gotten married first?

:surprise:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
If you'd gotten married first it'd be worse.;)try pulling and wiggling at the same time.it's hard to explain but once you get it you'll understand

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you'd gotten married first it'd be worse.;)
Good point. I swear, Doc... i knew that... seriously ... i just... erm, forgot it or something.

try pulling and wiggling at the same time.it's hard to explain but once you get it you'll understand

Lack of tools that will both fit and be delicate enough to get the job done with the plug intact/one piece. Is pulling the JB the perfect japanese design again? I am hoping its a couple of bolts or something similar... you just gave me the spooky feeling it's one of those, "yeah well to replace that first you need to pull off the rear half the engine . . ." things.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Nah that's the stator;)

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Some WD40 might slicken it up.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Some WD40 might slicken it up.
Way past that. I am getting the feeling that under the housing wall of that latch, something has jammed it from coming "up"... To do the wiggling in any of the four directions... its like baked on, or jammed in place ( or both ). I need it off so i can at least pull it without pulling the wires "so much" and use a tool. Get a good angle on it that way....

In any case, tomorrow is another day. Thank you both about the plug, but still curious about this black/red wire. What does it attach to on the other end? i.e; where does it come from before it hits the JB? I'll make some photos tomorrow, too.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Some sort of spray lube should help if there's corrosion from battery acid. Mine was clean but still stuck, just plastic to plastic. I used a larger screwdriver blade to get it moving. But the plastic wasn't rotten either. It wasn't easy pulling the plugs even after being removed once.

The black/red comes from the start button. When you hit start, current from the start button trips the relay in the JB, current then from the yellow/red triggers the starter solenoid under the right sidecover, starter turns, happy noises occur, and away we go..

Going back toward the handlebars.... Black/red comes from the start button, through the connector under the tank, and back to the JB. It is this wire on my bike that was the same color all the way to the JB, but the wiring diagram showed it changing color (black/red to black) at those plugs under the tank, so my color diagram was incorrect.

This black/red also has a yellow/red wire that branches off before the JB, and runs to the IC Ignitor (CDI) and is labeled "start". We speculate this wire may cause the IC Ignitor to alter timing on engine cranking, but we are really unsure of it's function.

Because of that branching wire to the IC Ign., and the improved starting I observed after the Two-Wire Mod, I'm thinking the mod may have improved ignition volts during cranking. (same as the coil relay mod)

I've added the color wiring diagram to the first post, and here. Save to your device and zoom in.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
So it seems to me that a lot of these electrical mods bypass crap relays in the JB. Has anyone found a replacement for these or some other way to resolve? I wonder if there is a decent JB from a different bike that could be subbed for ours. I just want my bike to work for spring and these electrical issues seem to be the biggest draw back to the VN750. Maybe I'll buy one on ebay and see if I cant just make a circuit card that works by hand..

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So it seems to me that a lot of these electrical mods bypass crap relays in the JB. Has anyone found a replacement for these or some other way to resolve? I wonder if there is a decent JB from a different bike that could be subbed for ours. I just want my bike to work for spring and these electrical issues seem to be the biggest draw back to the VN750. Maybe I'll buy one on ebay and see if I cant just make a circuit card that works by hand..
This mod bypasses the starter relay in the JB, which is redundant and prone to failure. Kawi used a relay to trigger a relay (starter solenoid). Starter circuits have been fine for decades with just the one relay.

Some have repaired JBs, but in this case it's simpler to just bypass, and the other possible benefits are a bonus.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
This mod bypasses the starter relay in the JB, which is redundant and prone to failure. Kawi used a relay to trigger a relay (starter solenoid). Starter circuits have been fine for decades with just the one relay.

Some have repaired JBs, but in this case it's simpler to just bypass, and the other possible benefits are a bonus.
Ahhh Gotcha Any idea what wire is supposed to be the black/R on the 1986 harness? I know everyone says to just use the one in the same slot on the connector but that's not quite solid enough advice for me

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Ahhh Gotcha Any idea what wire is supposed to be the black/R on the 1986 harness? I know everyone says to just use the one in the same slot on the connector but that's not quite solid enough advice for me
From looking at one of the pics you posted in another thread, the wire in that position looks white or lt.gray? Lt. blue?

I would go to the plugs under the left side neck cover and see if that wire is there. May be necessary to trace completely back to one side of the start button to confirm. If needed I would check continuity from the JB plug to where it is found up front or do that in reverse, find the start button wire at the JB plug.

Have to find the correct plug up front, right now I don't recall which plug carries the start button.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
From looking at one of the pics you posted in another thread, the wire in that position looks white or lt.gray? Lt. blue?

I would go to the plugs under the left side neck cover and see if that wire is there. May be necessary to trace completely back to one side of the start button to confirm. If needed I would check continuity from the JB plug to where it is found up front or do that in reverse, find the start button wire at the JB plug.

Have to find the correct plug up front, right now I don't recall which plug carries the start button.
If youre talking about the wire at the top of the picture, over the black one, Thats actually white haha. Grease and filth is an extra custom mod the PO added free of charge.. Starngely enough there was also a VN750.com grill cover on the bike as well

Attachments

41 - 60 of 185 Posts