Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I won't try to change your mind. But did you splice the wires together on the plug, or off the plug?

Did you see the info about the blue wire mod? It does not involve the 10-pin plug.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spliced them off the plug. The ends coming out of the wire harness. Was that wronh? I just discovered that my bike already would start in gear without the clutch pulled in, i tried it on the center stand.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sounds like you did it right, still baffled why it affected your light.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I still don't know if the headlight bypass was done right.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Thank you again, Spockster.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you again, Spockster.
Hey, you're welcome, and those balancer bushings should be almost there, maybe today.

If you don't use them right away, you might put some fresh motor oil on them and keep them in the bag. Gave them a shot of FRP when I mailed them, the FRP might take the motor oil off them, even though it's oily itself.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Thanks.they showed up today

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey, you're welcome, and those balancer bushings should be almost there, maybe today.

If you don't use them right away, you might put some fresh motor oil on them and keep them in the bag. Gave them a shot of FRP when I mailed them, the FRP might take the motor oil off them, even though it's oily itself.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is FRP?? :confused:

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is FRP?? :confused:
Foaming Rust Penetrant - FRP

When they closed the power plant, they were giving it away like candy. Think I'm down to my last can. :( Can't buy it anywhere. It's really good stuff.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks for enlightening me. I have never heard of the stuff before.
Must be something that is only sold to commercial or industrial concerns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Think I may have the answer to the no head light

Ok so I did this mod on my 95 vulcan because I am teaching my wife to ride and I could not have it not start on her at a corner if it stalled. My wiring is ALL stock there have been no wiring mods.I cut the wires but did it a little way back from the plug (Maybe an inch) I twisted the 2 wires together and it worked.
BUT
My head light like the other fella reported did not work. So I did the simplest thing I could think of I Hooked the wires back up the way they were 1 at a time to see what would happen.
Black with red stripe hooked up = still no head light
Yellow with red stripe hooked back up = Head light

So decided to see what would happen if I just spliced the black with red stripe wire into the yellow with red stripe wire with the yellow and red striped wire still plugged in to the harness and connected to itself.
Here is the result
My neutral safety switch is bypassed the bike will try to start in gear if button is pushed and I have a head light.

So trusting myself I have soldered the connection and sealed it up.
The pig tail from the black with red stripe wire I just sealed up and left.
Hoping this helps someone else or if I am way off base let me know I know nothing about the wiring of these bikes I just kind of thought it out.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Was tempted to say this was a difference in older bikes, but tanner has an '89 and a '90 listed. Not sure if he has a newer one that he was working on. I know when he swapped in a harness, there were fewer wires than it had originally, but the Two Wire mod worked after that.

Not sure you're getting the benefits with the yellow/red still tied to the JB, but still don't know why two bikes have had the headlight problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got what I wanted

All I was after with the mod was an end to the neutral safety switch. My bike would stall once in a while and not start unless it was in neutral with the clutch released. Since it is now my wife's bike and I can not have her fighting with it if it stalls at a corner I needed the start button to just work. Well the start button works and so does the head light. If it adds anything else then sweet if not I am ok with that too lol. Just thought the info might be helpful for anyone who had this same problem with the mod. I am not an expert on these bikes or any bike LOL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry I have been busy, My bike is a 94, I have since hooked the wiring back up like stock. Since I can start my bike in gear, I'm not going to mess with it and try and hook it up like Plee911 did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Was wondering if this might be the fix I'm needing, my bike seems to have issues starting, whenever I let go of the start button it cuts out, this is all from a neutral position sitting on side kickstand, doesn't seem like there's any real harm and easy to change back if it's not the solution to my problem

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Yes this is the fix Spockster was talking about

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did the mod correctly as far as I know. Almost immediately after pressing the start button, the wire out from the stator caught on fire. Wtf. I'm actually super pissed about this. Looks like there were many wiring mods done by the previous owner.

21 - 40 of 185 Posts