Edit March 2016:
So far, we know Kawi used black/red or all black for the wire running to the 10-pin JB plug from the start button. This has caused some confusion and errors applying this mod in some cases. This is probably the reason for the headlight problems later in this thread. Will try to get a couple of pics and pin locations up as soon as I can post pics again.
Edit June 2017
- Watch this video before beginning: Short video on Blue Wire & Two Wire mods
* Be aware that this mod disables the neutral start switch. Your bike will start in gear with the clutch engaged after doing this mod.*
Posting this so more people may become aware of it, recommending it as a preventative mod that could save your stator, or resolve some of the other problems it covers. The mod can also keep you from being stranded.
The Two Wire Mod
1) At the Junction Box, find the 10-pin
connector (smaller of the two)
2) Locate the yellow/red stripe
and black/red stripe
wires (Kawi also used all black instead of black/red)
3) Remove the two wires from the 10-pin plug
4) Splice the two wires together securely and insulate properly
edit: This is the color diagram I'm using:
Link to High-Res Color Wiring Diagram: Google Drive: Sign-in
What The Two Wire Mod Covers
1) Start Button Failure
2) Low Peak Charge Voltage
3) Charging System Brownouts - (volts dropping well below peak voltage for periods of time)
4) Charging System Failure to charge with a good stator, R/R, etc.
5) Possibly improves ignition voltage. The yellow/red branches off before the Junction Box and feeds into the IC Ignitor box. Hot and cold starting both improved on my bike.
This mod is bypassing unidentified faults and future faults with these circuits in the Junction Box.
Let us know if this works for you.
michiganteddybear did this 1 1/2 years ago for his start button.
I have the TPE/MOSFET and this mod cured charging system brownouts, low peak charge, dead start button, and hot/cold starts on my bike.
thtanner has the TPE/MOSFET that wasn't charging at all, both of ours are at 14.5v now.
Edit April 2023:
Link to video for this mod.
The Two Wire Mod is an electrical modification to bypass a prone-to-fail starter relay in the junction box. Bypassing this relay can help to avoid a no-start situation with a start button failure. It can also help to prevent charging system brownouts (necessary voltage drops below peak voltage...