Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as of today when i filled my jeep up and hit $50 mark, i decided it was time to finally tackle this beast. I hope to make this a step by step guide how to rewind your stator with better matterials, meaning that it 'should' last longer.

Initially i was going to test out several different methods to boost power output, but i need the stator now!! For this one i will stick to the basics. The remainder variations will come when i have time.

On this stator (which i got from Bumpy form the Y! forum, Thanks :smiley_th )there are 30 turns per pole with about 6 ft on each pole, all in a clock wise direction. Wire gauge appears to have been 18 gauge. It was very poorly epoxied, and that seems to be the cause of the failure. removing the wire gave a quick challenge. Here are the steps.

Tools:
A knife (dull but with a good point) or a chisle
needle nose pliers
pen and paper (to take notes so you dont forget)
gloves (the epoxy can be rather sharp when comming off)
a permanet marker
saftey googles
Toaster oven (this will be something u wont use to cook food in.

1) you will need to clean this thing very good. Use mild soap, warm water and a brush to get all the oil and debris off.
2) dry very well. you may want to put it in the toaster at 150 for 30-40 mins to dry it up.
3) mark your first pole. this should be the first one that you unwind. TAKE NOTICE HOW ITS WOUND as the wires will overlap causing issues durring this part. Pole 1 should have the end of the wire feeding over the outer part of the pole, not the inner.
4) cut off the yellow wires leaving 1/2" of wire left. same should be done with the other dohicky where all the wires connect.
5) set the toaster to 350 degrees and bake for an hour or 2. it will smolder, but not catch fire. this is to make the epoxy brittle by 'glassing' it.
6) after the heat cycle, let it cool. then take your chisle or knife and gently crack and remove as much of the epoxy as possiable from the sides of the coils. this makes unwinding eaiser. if need be take the pliers and crack it like a nut and pull some off it off.
7) take your pliers and gently pull the wire to unwind it. this may take some muscle, but be careful not to snap the wire. repeat for each coil. I found its easiest to continue with the same wire untill done (every 3rd pole)
8) wash when done.
9) rebake it at 150 30-40 mins to dry it out.

The rewind will come soon when i get parts. :p

Reactions: fergy

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I tried winding an inductor once - by hand. It's not as easy as you think. Or, at least it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i forgot to take photos of the unwinding. I will take them when i unwind the stator that is in my bike now. but i will take them as i go along and wind it.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Hizzo, if you get weary of winding and photographing, I bought a stator on eBay two weeks ago and it turns out that my stator didn't die when my r/r did. So it's just sitting here, waiting to go back on eBay. It's an '86, which I think Dianna said is one of the better "years" for these. It'll be here if you holler "uncle!"

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered the wire.... I ordered 18 gauge Polyester/polyamideimide made by essex. stuff is good for up to 220 deg C wich is over 400 degrees F (your engine should seize above 300 degrees F). Just to give you an idea, the insulation should last 20,000 hours at 200 deg C (taken from their data sheets, these are always inflated). This means at 19.7 miles an hour (the number taken from my g/f's bravada's avg speed), this stuff should last 400k miles!!! well even if it last a 1/8th of that, that is 50K miles...
anyway i got 160 feet of this stuff($14.40), and i also got 10 feet of some teflon insulated 14 AWG stranded wire which is good up to 200 deg C as well ($6.80) to replace those nasty yellow wires. shipping should be around $5 (they havent pulled the order yet).
Hummm....$26.20 for the wire...not bad... now i need the epoxy. The one i wanted is sold in packs of 10. and at $6 a pack that is a bit much. gonna see if i can hunt down someone who sells this stuff individually. Sofar looks like the stator can be wound for less then $50. I will also need a toaster oven to cure the epoxy (your significant other would kill you if you did this in your good oven as this can leave chemicals behind altering tastes of food), but that is what garage sales are for :beerchug:

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Funny you should say that, 'cause I got home to hear the story of how my wife is going to check the oven from now on, before she turns it on. My daughter layed a thick plastic straw on the top rack, and all that was left was a little residue on the rack, and a bunch of hardened plastic puddles on the bottom. Oh, and the smell of plastic.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, here is an update. I got the wire in. got it from Surplus Sales Of Nebraska. I ordered it on the 4th, got here on the 10th. for over a weekend cant complain. That teflon wire is some tuff stuff. Kinda wishing i went a tad thicker (went 14, should have gone with 10). Whole well, this is a learning experiance this go round. I will try a local electrical store and see what they have. The magnet wire is awesome. It took a few passes with a sharp knife to remove the coating.

Now for the bad news. The stuff i ordered from Cotronics, well seems to be forgotten, or well i have been. I sent them an email not long ago, so i will find out whats up.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
What about the big battery. How has that turned out?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Nothing I hate worse than doing an online order and getting no email confirmations, no news, no shipping notification, nothing. I hate ordering from BikeBandit just cause they take two or three days just to go pull the order and pack it up. I didn't order my saddlebags from them because of that. The guy on the phone says, "you can pay for overnight shipping." I asked, does that mean it will go out today? He says "no, it still takes 1-3 days to process the order." I said, why the heck would I pay overnight shipping if you aren't shipping it for three days? Ordered them from MotoLeather cause the guy said "you'll have them on Friday (two days), no extra charge for shipping, which ended up being less than $7.

I don't know, I figure if you order it online, they should ship it the same day or the next day if it's late.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well got a reply back from cotronics....the sent it out on the 8th lol...and i ordered it the 4th... the Cust. Service rep said sorry and sent me a copy of the packing slip. In the back of my mind i was thinking that if their stuff wasnt the bomb, i'd go somewhere else. Anyway. Cegodsey, the battery came in yesterday while i was at work, so i couldnt get it. my g/f is picking it up as we speak from the office, so i will have results by saturday night. I went ahead and ordered an OEM regulator from ebay also just to get me up and running. 42 bucks with shipping. This thing was pratically brand new. No acid stains, no rust, no dirt or corrsion.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well got my epoxy in last night, and i decided to go ahead and go a gauge up, so i ordered 16 gauge magnet wire, and some 10 gauge stranded in teflon. I am having this stuff sent overnight, as i promised someone that they could take her for a spin on sunday.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Best of luck Hizzo.

Now ya gotta get a plate to mount to the stator cover kinda like this....

Attachments

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
That's really quite the thing.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would be awesome. I wonder if i could get that CNC'ed and how much? then i could have it engraved, then annodiezed in 2 colors, one for text, the other for background. I do like that image though.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well went through and rebuilt the stator, installed it and pop!. one of the lead off wires got between the stator mount and the stator, and cut it. :(. good thing i had more wire on order. I will also be looking at getting the TOC cover while i have the engine apart. That way i can swap in and out the stators as i design them and to test out different results. but Frankenstator V1.0 - DOI (dead on install).

on a side note though, it did look really good and i tested out the wires in my toster oven. I got it up to 550 degrees (used an oven throm to verify) and the wire coating turned a darker shade, but no signs of burning after about 20 mins at that temp. Very impressed.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
That's a bummer Hizzo !! But alot of new ideas don't survive the initial testing phase.
The TOC cover sounds like a good idea for ya.
Good luck with the Brother of Frankenstator !!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did learn alot off this one. It wasnt till halfway though that i started doing good windings (i am used to 22-30 gauge winding wire). at one point i was able to shove 14 windings on the first layer. i should have a new one up next monday

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Um, practice makes perfect?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts