Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2 other tanks for my VN. The green one was on my bike and recently started leaking around the left mounting flange. The red one I bought locally for $10 and it was originally going to be my test piece for the rattlecan project. But the leak starting on the green one took the bike out of action so I decided to "test" on my motley tins.

So I intend to completely restore these tanks. To include:

Complete strip of paint.
Repair of dents.
Derust interior and seal.
Prime and paint.

I am going to try KBS products for this. They seem very responsive and ship to me in 2-3 days. I've already placed one order with them.

If you've been following my Rattlecan thread you know my tank has been the least successful piece there. I plan to get that one on the bike and running and I'll be working on these two. When one of them is together and better than the motley one I will swap them out.

I do see myself eventually having multiple tins in different paint schemes that I can swap out just for fun. But I'll keep going on my pearl white scheme until I get a set I am satisfied with.

Oh, almost certainly going to test out my new paint gun on these guys. No more rattlecan for me probably! (After the rattlecan project is finished, of course.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157619279528406/

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back working on the second tank. Since I bunged up my fenders (see Newb Vs. The Rattlecan thread) and will be repainting I figured I should have the other tank ready to go with them.

I purchased the KBS tank sealer kit for it. Did the Aqua Cleen degreaser step and it is currently drying. Next I will do the de-rusting step.

I'll keep everyone posted how it goes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157619279528406/

·
Registered
721 Posts
have you ever thought of after cleaning the steel to scuff it up and clear coat it? that would look wicked...
I just saw your picks and the idea popped into my head...

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that "80" bobber I posted last week was done w/ bare metal, apparently clear coated I presume. It does look wicked!

Trying to learn how to paint and such as that's what more people want. I'm not really into glossy bright finishes either, but again most people are so I'm doing it that way so people can learn from what I'm doing.

I could finish it bare metal or paint it flat black, but not that many other people will want to do it so the documentation will be less useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts