Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I starting receiving the parts I need to bring this Beast back to life.
The pistons didn't make it today, Maybe tomorrow.

They cleaned up pretty good

I got the ACCT springs in today also. Already got them put in.
Used a key I made out of a key used to open the containers
to change the towels/toilet paper in restrooms

Here is the Clutch holding tool I am making.
Now just need to figure out what to use as a Handle

Also got the Mechanical Seal & put it in today.
Waiting for the tube of 1194 to show up.
Then I'll be able to put the cases back together

The journey ending:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11063

HomeMade Clutch Basket Holder - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10756

Bleeding Hydraulic Adjuster - Tech Tip
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10887

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Zoinks! Perchance, while you have the cyl heads off, have you reseated the valves? Never a bad idea to get that taken care of while they're seeing the light of day.

Also, check your pms - I responded about the pushrod, etc.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
For a handle could you replace two adjacent bolts with longer ones to hold a piece of strap steel to the outside edge? Just thinking outloud. Hoss

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why I used nuts & bolts instead of welding it. I wanted to be able to install/uninstall the handle until I get the right one fitted. Has to be strong enough not to bend when your torqueing down the Big Nut.

For a handle could you replace two adjacent bolts with longer ones to hold a piece of strap steel to the outside edge? Just thinking outloud. Hoss

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was diagnosis and engine break-down.
This one is Parts replacment, Timing, & Rebuilding.
If one thread gets too long it's hard to get caught up on if your somebody who steps in to the Middle of it.
So if I break it up into sections it makes it easier, Only going through 5 or 6 pages instead of 10+ Pages.

Didn't you already start a thread on this?

:confused:

KM

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
...So if I break it up into sections it makes it easier, Only going through 5 or 6 pages instead of 10+ Pages.

Yes, I think there are folks here that would get sleepy reading 10 pages. ;)

I just thought it be nice to have the whole "Journey" in one easy to find thread. (posts are dated and it not illegal to skip ahead or start from the end)

Perhaps when you get to "The Journey Ends" the admins can sticky them all together in the Verses .

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
That's why I used nuts & bolts instead of welding it. I wanted to be able to install/uninstall the handle until I get the right one fitted. Has to be strong enough not to bend when your torqueing down the Big Nut.
Idea #2. Use two fairly long straps that attach one bolt closer on the circumference, than exactly opposite sides of the circle, and meet out a foot or so in the shape of a V. Drill a hole through the straps at that point and bolt them together to form a sturdier handle.

Does that word picture make sense to anyone else? If the straps were attached exactly opposite they would be parallel instead if intersecting.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
much better design on the clutch hub holder then mine... not gonna go there cause i broke stuff with mine.... just an idea but because of the little lip that u have to work with what about 1 using a piece of flat metal and just attach it to 2 opposit bolts or 2 stck a quaterr in the gears and attach stick a srew diver in a couple of the slots to catch the bolts... just brainstormin out loud again ...

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the 1194 came in today. And I got the case together.
Still waiting for a box full of stuff from Cheap Cycles.
They said it was shipping out today, so maybe by Thurs or Fri.

So until then just cleaning and getting stuff ready. Oh and trying
to get a few more items I need to finish the engine.

Had a borrow 5 Bolts from this cover. I was missing the 5 that holds the
bottom of the case together. These were the same so when I get
5 more I'll replace them

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
It's starting to look like an engine again. :smiley_th

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I'd give some pictures of the tools I'm using. Maybe help somebody who wants to get started on their bike.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Jay if you have any friends who work on ford vehicles, the fan clutch tool that is used to hold the pulley while breaking the big nut on the fan clutch loks like it will hold your clutch tool in place and is very similar to what Ol Hoss described and they have angled slots in them for easy removal and positioning and actually was designed for a similar job.You could always got to your local Ford store and ask to look at there clutch fan tool and make your own ,it is fairly obvious you have the necessary skills,and things are starting to look a lot better for you already,Denny

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
That`s a fine looking job your doing. How did you get everything so clean and shiny? Just use the parts washer solvent or did you have a high pressure power washer?

Jay your tool kit reminds me a lot of my own, a good complete set of sockets and open end/box end combination wrenches, screwdrivers with half a dozen different handles, mismatched pairs of pliers, some new tools and some that came from my father`s and grandfather`s toolboxs.

I notice you have a set of the Metric/inch combination wrenches and sockets. How do you like them? Do they fit well on nuts and bolts of both systems without slipping and barking your knuckles? If they do work well, that is what any newbies should look at buying when they are just starting to build a set of tools from scratch. You can avoid spending double for two different sets of wrenches.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just my Parts Washer. It's filled with Paint Thinner (Mineral Spirits). I called the number off the parts washer at a local repair shop. I asked what it was in their washers. Mineral Spirits is what they told me.

Metrinch..Love em. I use them 90% of the time, 9% I use the ratched boxends, 1% Misc. tools. If I ever lost my set I'd have another one ordered the next day.
Some cars has both SAE & Metric on them. With the Metrinches I don't have to have a 13mm & a 1/2" to see which one fits.

They cost more but if you was to buy a set for someone Metrinch would be a perfect starter set for them or yourself.

I've rebuilt 4 complete engines, 2 transmissions, Numerous Partial engine repairs, Lawnmower repairs, Motorcycle, Bicycle, And stuff I can't remember with my metrinch set.

So do I like them......... :rockon: :smiley_th :pepper: :D :motorcycl

That`s a fine looking job your doing. How did you get everything so clean and shiny? Just use the parts washer solvent or did you have a high pressure power washer?

Jay your tool kit reminds me a lot of my own, a good complete set of sockets and open end/box end combination wrenches, screwdrivers with half a dozen different handles, mismatched pairs of pliers, some new tools and some that came from my father`s and grandfather`s toolboxs.

I notice you have a set of the Metric/inch combination wrenches and sockets. How do you like them? Do they fit well on nuts and bolts of both systems without slipping and barking your knuckles? If they do work well, that is what any newbies should look at buying when they are just starting to build a set of tools from scratch. You can avoid spending double for two different sets of wrenches.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Metrinch..Love em. I use them 90% of the time, 9% I use the ratched boxends, 1% Misc. tools. If I ever lost my set I'd have another one ordered the next day.
Some cars has both SAE & Metric on them. With the Metrinches I don't have to have a 13mm & a 1/2" to see which one fits.
So do I like them......... :rockon: :smiley_th :pepper: :D :motorcycl
I know most older folks will dissagree with me, but here goes...
I cannot understand why in the world the U.S. has not gone metric, they have talked about it for years, but done nothing...
Being into civil engineering for years where we used feet and tenths of feet which makes it easer than the fractions, but metric would have been much better, we did use metric in precise level runs to 1st & 2nd order monuments however...
Who wants to deal with 64ths, 32nds, 12 inches to the foot etc. when everything could be in tenths as is metric, so much easier to add, sub., mult., div., whatever... Much less strain on a pea brain like mine, and a lot less chance of error, IMHO...
BTW-If being in the 70s makes you an older folk, I air one...lol...
OK-Venting over...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I know most older folks will dissagree with me, but here goes...
I cannot understand why in the world the U.S. has not gone metric, they have talked about it for years, but done nothing...
Being into civil engineering for years where we used feet and tenths of feet which makes it easer than the fractions, but metric would have been much better, we did use metric in precise level runs to 1st & 2nd order monuments however...
Who wants to deal with 64ths, 32nds, 12 inches to the foot etc. when everything could be in tenths as is metric, so much easier to add, sub., mult., div., whatever... Much less strain on a pea brain like mine, and a lot less chance of error, IMHO...
BTW-If being in the 70s makes you an older folk, I air one...lol...
OK-Venting over...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
Cause we are American. We do things diferrent than others.
Don't want to get into the history of it. I am sure you get it.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
I agree with Old Dog.
Metric System is better. Thought so since I was a kid.
No time to debate the "cause we are American" point.
That's an excuse not an explanation.

jthill524 - your work is a sight to behold. Your skill (and anyone else who gets all this) is awesome. I can't even imagine taking on what you have. Wow! Outstanding!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
There are a few automatic transmissions here and there on american cars that are metric. And also a few bolts on the engines. But for what ever reason it never caught on full force.
We never went to the meter. We still use yards at the football games. And the foot on the gas paddle.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts