Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined the 50,000 mile club today.

See you on the road!

Did a tiny spreadsheet of the few dated mileages I have.
Code:
Date       Mileage      Days to get    Miles per day
OVERALL     50000       1556                32.1
12/5/2009   50000	18	             56
11/17/2009  49000	58	             79
9/20/2009   44444	267                  42
12/27/2008  33333	196	             43
6/14/2008   25000	572	             26
11/20/2006  10000	444	             22
9/2/2005      240

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Congrats EQ. I'm only 38,000 miles behind you (and closing) ;)

R

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
That is truely remarkable! BTW, how many tire changes have you had during this time? And which tires lasted longest and handled best in your opinion?

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is truly remarkable! BTW, how many tire changes have you had during this time? And which tires lasted longest and handled best in your opinion?
Can't remember exactly, five maybe? Hated the stock Bridgestones, they sucked. Gave me no feel for the road at all. Since then I've had one set of Avon Venoms, the rest Metzeler ME880's. The Avon seemed to handle a little better, while the Metzelers lasted a little longer.

Only one thing to do: Ride some more!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Way to go...:motorcycl...
But, remembering the pictures you used to post you've got to have one heck of a grin behind that chin guard...:p...
We have some good ridin twisties here, but since I've gotten older I just hate to see winter come... Do you ride comportable there all winter...??? Am I full of it, or do I remember seeing some snow in one of your posts...???
Below 60* here and my riding about stops... Oh, I'll get some in but not much, just enough to stir up the oil and keep the battery charged...
We had about 1-1/4" snow yesterday (the earliest I can remember here) and it was 23* this morning...:(...
Have a good one...Old Dog....

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I'm less than 7,000 miles behind you, shouldn't be to much longer before I get there. Of course, I passed 80,000 on my '93, before trading it for a KLR650. Had to start all over again on a new '02 Vulcan.

I'm surprised to find that I am the only one here that liked the stock Bridgestones. I've been through several sets. They were nothing spectacular as far as handling went, but I mostly ride straight anyway. I averaged 20,000 miles out of them, which impressed me, because I hate changing tires. The ME880s were second best at around 17,000 miles. I judge cruiser/touring tires about 90% based on tread life. Obviously sportbike tires would be a whole different thing, but I don't ride those things anymore. Jerry.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jerry,

17000 out of your ME880's? Amazing, I get less than half that. Well, I also ride hard on extremely twisty roads, often keeping up with / passing sportsbikers. That wears tires out a lot faster then riding in a straight line.

Everyone's different. For me, straight roads are a nightmare. Ultratwisty goat trails? That's where the fun's at! Here's one more, from a recent ride up Kaiser Pass in the Sierra Mountains.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
EQPlayer, that is an awesome pic and it must be an incredible place to ride. I am sooooo jealous!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I have a Yamaha XT225 for riding roads/trails like that. I had a Ninja 250, but had to sell it due to the extreme pain it caused to ride it more than 20 miles. I have fairly severe arthritis, and can't bend my neck at the angle necessary to ride a sportbike, nor can I put weight on my arms, shoulders, and wrists. I added 2" risers to the XT225 to raise the bars. One of the things I like about the Vulcan 750, is that it is like a Lay-Z-Boy on wheels. The seat is comfortable,( for me, I understand some don't like it) especially with something to lean back against, and all my weight is supported by the seat. The bars are at a perfect angle, and the pegs are in the perfect spot. After riding for a long time, I will sometimes use the passenger pegs for a while to avoid leg cramps.

There are thousands of miles of dirt roads/trails in AZ, and the XT is perfect for them. It is not a long distance bike however, it will keep up with traffic, but even with a padded cover/cushion, it feels like sitting on a 2x4. Jerry.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts