Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
update from the darkside

well i now have 16500 miles on my bike with almost 7000 miles on the darkside the tire still looks new w/ no problems so far

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Am I correct in reading here that dark side users tend to be more aggressive riders? I am rather sedate in my riding and got 11K miles off my original tires (they died from age before tread problems). I'm just curious as I am not thinking of doing this. I just put new Shinko tires on mine.

Reactions: minikrew

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Am I correct in reading here that dark side users tend to be more aggressive riders? I am rather sedate in my riding and got 11K miles off my original tires (they died from age before tread problems). I'm just curious as I am not thinking of doing this. I just put new Shinko tires on mine.
i'm not a aggressive rider i'm just cheep >:) :surprise:

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Revisited this thread since I need two tires before any serious riding.

Hoping minikrew followed this thread and gets an email to come back. Still trying to wear out that darkside tire?

Looking for the best tire to use on our VNs, all the info on the interwebs is for Goldwings and Ultras, info on a 165/80/15 that fits the 750 is really scarce.

Nexen SB802 seems to pop up most often, looks like the Coker model has changed since this thread started and doesn't look so great to me as far profile and tread pattern.

Any current posters using darkside? I may bump New Rider's thread and see if he comes back.

How about it... Anyone? Thoughts, opinions, experience, anything you've read or heard?

Thinking I'll darkside the rear and put the best mc tire money can buy up front. Otherwise, I'll probably get a set of Shinko 777. Got 6000 miles so far from the Shinko 230 Tourmaster. Rear is bald, front is worn out on one side due to an alignment problem. ... Which I've improved but still need to work on.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Just got a set of 777 Shinko's from BikeBandit, $170 and free ship.
Replacing the worn 777 Shinko's on the 2005 Vn750.
Reliable tires and available in the rear 15".

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I think Shinko is alright, especially at those prices, I got a pair from the bike 'junkyard' in Akron, OH for $120, forgot their name... Pinwall.

I know there's a perfect tire model out there for darkside, but I haven't dug it up yet. Just can't go by other sizes, we're talking VW bug and Porsche that fits the 750.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
I have a Shinko 777 on magna and like it

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spockster

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Just got a set of 777 Shinko's from BikeBandit, $170 and free ship.
Replacing the worn 777 Shinko's on the 2005 Vn750.
Reliable tires and available in the rear 15".
Damn, just looked and I can get a set on sale, but they're backordered. Prices are up since I bought a set. Have to see what I can do with ebay, I think Pinwall is defunct. Suppose I could contact BB and see how long the backorder takes.

Don't think anyone makes a radial bike tire in our sizes, can't find a front radial to go with a darkside. Michelin says LOL when you punch in your tire size, or shows you an MX tire, tried to look for Commander or Pilot Road.

I do prefer the tread pattern on the 777 versus the 230 or 712, and they're a heavier load rating. The reflective sidewall 777 caught my eye, until I saw they weren't really invisible in daytime. I'm not really wanting whitewalls right now. Shinko tries to rob you if you go directly to them. $98 front and $140 rear for the 777.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
All the 777s are backordered or sky high, revzilla wants $200 for the set. J&P was slightly cheaper due to a sale right now, but then they tried to remind me I had whitewalls in my cart, I specified black. Looks like I'm late in the season for tires.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
My Vulcan has a Vredestein tire on it. Got the brand name from another darksider on this forum.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
My Vulcan has a Vredestein tire on it. Got the brand name from another darksider on this forum.
MC or darkside? Bias or radial? I did see that brand but blew it off as some weird off brand. Then I saw recommendations to use it for darkside on our bike.

Funny, I found a post from Ole Hoses on another forum, linked to here about the same tire on Craznurs bike with pics, but I never got to the thread.

Edit: I missed where you said you got it from another dsrksider, so it's darkside then Still looking for Craznurs pics, but I bet they're unplugged and don't show.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Worth a shot, I didn’t actually put them in the cart.
They don't tell you until you're in the cart.

I found the pics from Craznurs tire thread. Back to being undecided.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Bias or radial?
Think it's a radial, but not sure. I'll try to remember to check it next time I'm at the barn where the Vulcan resides. If you go darkside, use plenty of tire lube and be prepared to use a lot of air pressure to get the bead to seat. Auto tires don't go on the Vulcan's rim as easily as MC tires.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Think it's a radial, but not sure. I'll try to remember to check it next time I'm at the barn where the Vulcan resides. If you go darkside, use plenty of tire lube and be prepared to use a lot of air pressure to get the bead to seat. Auto tires don't go on the Vulcan's rim as easily as MC tires.
Oh, might not be able to use zipties to mount it then. ? I'll probably try, I know it won't work on ATV tires. Did work for this set of Shinko though, real easy. Also dismounted the old ones with zipties.

Do you notice any handling characteristics with a radial rear and bias front? I've yet to read anyone say their bike was squirrelly with a darkside. Still haven't seen any radials in a 110/90/19. Pretty sure yours is an R15, all I found were.

Got a pair of 777 on the watchlist through Chaparral on eBay. $181 free shipping. The back tire is hard to find right now, even tried getting the pair from separate places but can't beat that price.

Those Vredestein aren't cheap, are they, $145. The Nexen SB802 is $67.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
No, I didn't notice any difference in handling. Think I got the Vredestein from Tire Rack several years ago for like $125. But since the tire is apt to last over 80,000 miles on the VN750, It was a bargain, even in the short term since I was only getting around 12,000 - 15,000 with the rear motorcycle tires.

·
Registered
508 Posts
How about one of these on the Vulcan?

I think those are the same type as the original poster used, except for the white walls.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts