Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after two rear tires in 9000 miles i went to the darkside. at about 150 miles on the new tire lovin it so far

Attachments

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Two rears in 9000 miles? Really? What tires were you running?

(My stock Bridgestone still had life left at 7000)
both stock Bridgestones first one came on my bike put about 3000 on it. #2 worn out at about 5000

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Sweet

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i put a 165/80-15 coker classic made for a porsche 356 on it

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Seriously considering darkside myself. Got 5k on my current back tire, it's smooth in the center with almost new chicken-strips that are pretty wide.

Would like to find one with more rounded side tread, but I'm not much of a peg dragger. I do push turns a bit, and I'm prone to hard acceleration almost any time. Straight stretches are kind of a rare treat around here, so there is that.

Wonder how the 165/80/15 compares to the oversize mc tire for our bike? Or how it compares to the stock tire size?

What air pressure are you running in the darkside?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
If you're all about riding strait, they're ok!

I like corners too much and the sidewalls of car tires are NOT made for the types of forces motorcycles put on them in turns.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

I like corners too much and the sidewalls of car tires are NOT made for the types of forces motorcycles put on them in turns.
Unless your riding sportbike style, there's not that much difference. Lots of comparison pics/videos out there showing the tread contact patch.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Not saying it's leading to a blow-out or catastrophe, but I'd rather have the 'best case scenario' when flying through curves :)

·
Super Moderator
11,872 Posts
I'm less skeptical about going to the dark side than I used to be. Know too many that have and so far read zero complaints. There's a bunch running car tire rears over on the FJR forum and narry a bad word yet (this on a "sport" touring bike with 128hp at the wheel)

Radial car tires are in fact similar to a fat bike tire, so unless you're racing the bike, it might be a workable option. In places like Florida that are devoid of twisty roads, it almost makes sense....

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
With darkside, there's actually more contact patch for straight line riding/braking/acceleration and about equal contact in all but the most extreme cornering (peg dragging). Walk out and look at the mc tire sitting on the sidestand. You're using about 2-3" of tire in a turn on the mc tire.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I slid in a patch of antifreeze once, so for that reason, I don't push hard on highways. Highways are not maintained like racetracks are.

There's always oil, tar, Slurpees, animal guts, beer, coffee, vomit, tobacco juice, ... Best to keep the Joe Rocket routine on the track.

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seriously considering darkside myself. Got 5k on my current back tire, it's smooth in the center with almost new chicken-strips that are pretty wide.

Would like to find one with more rounded side tread, but I'm not much of a peg dragger. I do push turns a bit, and I'm prone to hard acceleration almost any time. Straight stretches are kind of a rare treat around here, so there is that.

Wonder how the 165/80/15 compares to the oversize mc tire for our bike? Or how it compares to the stock tire size?

What air pressure are you running in the darkside?
the 165/80-15 is 1in taller than the stock tire and i have been riding at 37 psi

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
the 165/80-15 is 1in taller than the stock tire and i have been riding at 37 psi
Thanks for the confirmation of tire pressure Minikrew.

I have a new 165/80-15 vw bug tire sitting down at the tire shop right now just waiting for me to get the wheel off the motor and down to them. Do not remember the exact make or model right now.

I was re-reading the "29 Messages" over on the "Riding the Darkside" forum again last night. I decided to start out at 40+ psi for the first 500 miles, then drop down 2 psi at a time until I find "the sweet spot" as they call it. Many times that seems to be in the 35-38 psi range.

We (VRAC Lethbridge Chapter) have a short 60 mile ride up to the Town of Vulcan, Alberta planned for next weekend for their Hot Rod and Motorcycle Show and Shine. Hope to get at least one 100 mile ride in before then on the new tire. :)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I have three 165/80-15's in the shed behind my shop that were brand new 25 years ago:( Vulcan Alberta huh?that's cool

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

You might want to read what a rider with 100,000 miles of experience riding on the darkside on every type of road surface you can imagine, has to say about car tires on cruisers. :) He describes his riding style as enthusiastically abusive, and is a chronic peg dragger.

The Dark Side

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have three 165/80-15's in the shed behind my shop that were brand new 25 years ago:( Vulcan Alberta huh?that's cool
Vulcan is a typical Alberta farming community. About 2.5 sq. miles in area and a population of about 2,000, according to Wiki.

Town of Vulcan

They have capitalized on their name and have a tourist information building modeled after the Star Trek Ship, Enterprise.
Leonard Nimoy has even been up once or twice to help them celebrate Spock Days.:smile2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts