Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

this windshield helped out alot!!!!:rockon:

this am it was 27 deg. decided enough was enough slaped the windshield on .....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nick, for some reason I can't see the pic in your post, but I know what you mean about the cold. It seems I end up coming home a lot after dark and the temps begin dropping way down this time of year. Finally bought a NC Plexistar 2 and installed 2 days ago. Still need to get it adjusted a little better, but so far I'm loving it. I can tell a huge difference in having a warmer and more comfortable ride. What shield did you end up with?

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Heated gear really helps. I have heated gloves, am unsure if the bike has enough power for a vest as well. Still, warm hands make the ride vastly more pleasant.

Low-tech trick: Put a newspaper inside your jacket.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heated gear really helps. I have heated gloves, am unsure if the bike has enough power for a vest as well. Still, warm hands make the ride vastly more pleasant.

Low-tech trick: Put a newspaper inside your jacket.
i had my fleece and jacket over that. gloves stocking hat with my lined helmet ontop of that . my jeans are insulated ( use them when deer hunting ) and boots only thing that sucked was my cheeks and chin.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
We're sharing the same weather in central PA. Rode for 30 minutes yesterday, and spent the next 4 hours shivering inside. I've spent a lot of time researching windshields, but haven't been able to decide.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've spent a lot of time researching windshields, but haven't been able to decide.
Same here. I've only been riding a couple of months and hate to stop for the winter; but am not sure if and how much of a windshield I want. I'm thinking fairly small, mainly to block the chest wind. I also want one that is easily removed.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
For cold rides, I'm completely happy with my Plexy III.
Yes, it's huge, but with it's size comes so much less cold to the body.
It has lowers and hand guards (although the hand guards don't completely cover the hand grip area)
Easy to remove/install..... not a 10 second job, but less than a minute once ya figure out the way easiest for you.

Also, for my helmet I got one of these....

Not sure what all makes of helmets have such a piece available, but I know they have 'em for the HJC CL-12 (but it's made for the CL-16, yet fits perfectly)

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not sure on who makes the shield . it came off a 1978 kaw 750 inline 2 cylinder ( aka captain america the tank and fenders are painted like an american flag) it took some bending and a little doings to get her on there but she fits total money involved was zip which makes it even better lol

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

couple more thats all i can see as far as who or what type of model it is

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
It was 38 degrees on Friday when I started my 250 mile trip home to the U.P. Was 28 degrees by the time I got home. The trip went well, but my toes were cold when I got home. I just put some plexiglass on my crash bar on each side. That seems to do the trick. Only thing, it's supposed to be a lot warmer when I leave to go back to Madison, WI for work. I'll have plenty of cold to come yet, though.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hope the forcast holds true for mid week, they are givin 75* for Wednesday and 76* for Thursday... Those are days you just gotta grab durin the winter months...:motorcycl...:motorcycl...
So, I'll try to get my leaves chopped today or tomorrow, and ride one if not both days, shoot, if I do the leaves today, that'll leave even tomorrow in the picture @ +/-72*...
Gotta go fer it when I can at my age...lol...
Y'all have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I had the windshield on for the trek from Philly to Clinton, NJ. I only put it on because that was the only way to transport it. I was baffled by how much warmer it was. I could even go one handed every once in a while and put my left hand on the front of the seat out of the wind to warm it up. I might use the shield all winter...

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
If it is cold out...(under 50F)...riding without a windshield is about as silly as not wearing shoes in the snow.

The Plexifairing 3 is the prefered cold weather shield for the Vulcan. It can be pulled off in just a few minutes and re-installed in the same time. (you just leave the mounting brackets on the bike)

Even if you do not care for windscreens, not having one for cold riding is only going to make you miserable. Even a small tombstone type windscreen is better than none.

Consider it a Christmas gift for the bike and one that will help you avoid hypothermia. ;)

KM

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it is cold out...(under 50F)...riding without a windshield is about as silly as not wearing shoes in the snow.

The Plexifairing 3 is the prefered cold weather shield for the Vulcan. It can be pulled off in just a few minutes and re-installed in the same time. (you just leave the mounting brackets on the bike)

Even if you do not care for windscreens, not having one for cold riding is only going to make you miserable. Even a small tombstone type windscreen is better than none.

Consider it a Christmas gift for the bike and one that will help you avoid hypothermia. ;)

KM
My ride to work is only a few miles though I have friends all over northwest ohio and southern michigan so it helps a ton when out on the highways

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I wouldn't be without the windshield. I wish I still had my PFIII, but it won't fit on my 1600. I rode the 250 miles from my U.P. home to my Madison, WI work this morning. Was 30 degrees when I left. I finally peeled a layer, and changed to lighter gloves after 200 miles. I put plexiglas on the engine guard in front of my feet. That made a huge difference.

That PFIII made a huge difference on my hands with the VN750. I know some of you have said it doesn't do much, but it did for me. I was able to ride in 40-50 degree weather with just light gloves.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts

KM
Right on but I might be the anomoly in that I genuinely enjoy the cold. Even still if I'm riding the slab I think I'll throw the wind shield on. It gets freekin' cold up here!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I ride all winter long (of course, I live in north Texas). That being said, my personal best last year was the 35 mile ride into the office at 20 degrees. I can't even imagine what doing that without a windshield would be like. I don't own any heated gear, but if you know how to dress for it (think "layers"), and have something to protect your neck (I wear a balaclava underneath my helmet), the only real issue is your hands. I have some snowmobiling gloves that I ride with, but temperatures that low really demand mittens (not good for motorcycle riding) or heated gloves.

Also, I just switched out the face shield on my helmet to my Pinlock shield. Pinlock is, by far, the best solution to fogging that I've found. Works like a charm.

--FA

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I have some snowmobiling gloves that I ride with, but temperatures that low really demand mittens (not good for motorcycle riding) or heated gloves.
FA, I've been riding in the cold for my 250 mile trips home on weekends with snowboard mittens (any time it gets below 50 degrees, and lately it's been between 25 and 50). Doesn't impede anything while I ride. I can then put hand warmers in to keep my fingers warm. I even move the warmer around to get my thumb periodically.

Here's a couple of pics of the plexiglass I put on my engine guard to keep the heat at my feet.http://api.ning.com/files/f1jUQQMVBKPpPT87kr29TSPsd98rUxfKmEcQG**9xPU8kxvBabJxvjx51*zHHnUJNGc4PkdS3izvp*-KOAIrsFl-7qeqjkNJ/111110_1107.jpg http://api.ning.com/files/yUVoa7pVLXPIgVX4xqgxuMCVgGRc2u2W3eQ0fqAQywppsV6A*nZWwlT4YN2oyME7PNz7RFtPmeNyTSvSmOsVtHJUqjV1w7WO/111110_1108.jpg You'd be amazed at how much heat comes off the engine with those on. I wouldn't have believed it.

I'm thinking of making black leather chaps to replace the plexiglass to look dressier.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
All I get is a tiny thumbnail pic.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts