Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do light modification to their textile riding jackets successfully?

I went to REI and Sierra Trading Post & saw some stuff like in the pic that I'm thinking of adding to my Technik all black jacket to give it some contrast & punch. Also thinking of adding some reflective panels to the webbing if I did it.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
Anyone ever do light modification to their textile riding jackets successfully?

I went to REI and Sierra Trading Post & saw some stuff like in the pic that I'm thinking of adding to my Technik all black jacket to give it some contrast & punch. Also thinking of adding some reflective panels to the webbing if I did it.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a good idea to me. Making yourself more visable can never hurt.
And yes, post photos of your work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I thought about using some quick rivets on the webbing, but that might cause fraying, and I'd have to use some rubber cement to seal it, plus the rivets would become really hot in the sun, and while shiny yes I'd still need to grab them. So I'm going to use my leather awl/sewing kit and some artificial sinew to attach it. If nothing else I'll be able to get the front flaps & back flap covered decently.

What was that about my medieval reenactment & crafting skills not being useful towards motorcycling? :cool:

Teknic Jacket Mod Album Link

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
So I thought about using some quick rivets on the webbing, but that might cause fraying,.....
Much of that webbing material contains enough synthetic composition that a bit of heat will prevent fraying. If it is heavy and thick you can cut partially down from the top if laid out flat with a razor blade and then finish the cut with a heated blade. This will seal the cut and prevent any fraying. Just be sure not to over heat the blade or it will create dark burn marks. One or two test tries should be sufficient to find the proper amount of heat. Good luck.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
So I thought about using some quick rivets on the webbing, but that might cause fraying, and I'd have to use some rubber cement to seal it, plus the rivets would become really hot in the sun, and while shiny yes I'd still need to grab them. So I'm going to use my leather awl/sewing kit and some artificial sinew to attach it. If nothing else I'll be able to get the front flaps & back flap covered decently.

What was that about my medieval reenactment & crafting skills not being useful towards motorcycling? :cool:

Teknic Jacket Mod Album Link
Now let's try motorcycle jousting;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now let's try motorcycle jousting;)
You kid but Rod Walker, stunt motorcycle rider/ pro jouster/ one of the trainers from Full Metal Jousting, already did that and/or ATV jousting.

IIRC the best line I ever heard about him was "God keep you Rod. So few people hear the call of madness so clearly and follow it so loyally." - Jehan de Pelham

I think it has something to do with him being an Aussie.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I was kidding but I have seen videos of it on chop cult

1 - 10 of 10 Posts