Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am nearing complete on my ear shave. I have all the filters installed, but the crankcase filters are only attached by the hose and not yet bolted down. Gas tank is likewise not bolted down.

I rejetted both main jets, leaving pilots stock and no shims.

I fired it up and ran it a few seconds. I noticed both carbs appear to be leaking gas! Near as I can tell, its from the bowls. All fuel lines look dry.

I grew up without carbs, so I have no idea what to do.

Help!

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Actually, in these pictures, it looks wet above the bowl.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
verify that the fuel lines go to the right nipples on the carbs. if you put them on the vent fittings, they will overflow and leak.

other option is that both float needles/seats are stuck open.

look for simplest first, which is proper routing of the fuel lines

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did start and run it after reassembling it. Would it run with the fuel going into the vent lines?

I have a short video of me running it. I'm not sure if this link will work. It died when I took it off choke. It's stored in a heated garage at about 68F at the time of this video.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=424861104915883&id=100021759902987&sfnsn=mo

I never removed the two hoses that go to the T flitting. I only removed fuel lines, vacuum line (to petcock) and the "output" of the T fitting.

Edit: PO reported issues with running at 50 mph (vent hose improperly secured). He said he had the carbs cleaned to try to fix it. Therefore, I assumed all gaskets were still in good condition and reused them. Is there an unwritten rule that all the gaskets should be replaced any time you open the carbs?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Anybody? Bueller?

Edit:
All take note; if you ever open carbs for the first time, order a carb rebuild kit for $50 and replace all gaskets because old or original gaskets will leak once cracked.
I saw this after checking this thread...so that answers my question.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts