Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may know, I had to do an engine swap recently. Previously, after about a half hour, the temperature would show to be about 1/4 to 1/5 of the way across the gauge. Now with the new engine, the temperature gauge hardly budges. The arrow only moves to the mark at the far left of the gauge.

Where do you guys usually see the normal operating temperature to be? Could it be that this newer engine is just cooling better? Or is there probably something wrong with the sensor? Or something wrong with the system? For the record, I'm using the old radiator and gauges, but the sensor is from the parts bike because the plug tab broke off the old one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For the record, I'm using the old radiator and gauges, but the sensor is from the parts bike because the plug tab broke off the old one.
i think you answered your own question, bro! don't overlook the obvious:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Where do you guys usually see the normal operating temperature to be? Could it be that this newer engine is just cooling better? Or is there probably something wrong with the sensor? Or something wrong with the system? For the record, I'm using the old radiator and gauges, but the sensor is from the parts bike because the plug tab broke off the old one.
Are you using the old thermostat? Sounds like a pretty classic case of a worn out thermostat. A couple years ago my bike would freeze up in the winter. After riding for an hour one day it got so cold I had to use the choke to keep it from dieing. A new thermostat solved that.

-Robert

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are you using the old thermostat? Sounds like a pretty classic case of a worn out thermostat.

yeah you are right... except the t stat was fine BEFORE the different sensor was installed! odds would say the sensor is more likely, although it could be a number of components. but if anything has been replaced, i would suspect that part first, it's kind of logical.

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is kind of what I was thinking too, but I'm going to try also replacing the thermostat with the one off the parts bike and see what happens.

·
Registered
194 Posts
heck yeah, beats spending money ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts