Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the stator on my 94 Vulcan 750. Temp gauge jumps into the red zone when I turn on the key and motor not running. When it is running it goes up into the red then down to cold and back and forth. Any suggestions?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
So from what I understand, when I had problems with my gauge, the test was to touch the gauge wire to ground. If the gauge was good the needle would go all the way to the top. This suggests that the temperature sensor would lose resistance as it gets hotter (I could be backward on this 180 degrees). So the test for a sensor would be to put it in hot water and see if the needle went up, that is if the gauge was never moving at all.

So my guess is you have a short someplace and perhaps the connector at the temp sensor is touching the frame slightly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So from what I understand, when I had problems with my gauge, the test was to touch the gauge wire to ground. If the gauge was good the needle would go all the way to the top. This suggests that the temperature sensor would lose resistance as it gets hotter (I could be backward on this 180 degrees). So the test for a sensor would be to put it in hot water and see if the needle went up, that is if the gauge was never moving at all.

So my guess is you have a short someplace and perhaps the connector at the temp sensor is touching the frame slightly.
Where do I find the temp sensor?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Where do I find the temp sensor?
Take off the tank and you will see the wire connected to it just behind (toward the seat) the radiator fill cap. I think I might have wrapped electrical tape around mine at one time.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If you're not feeling like taking off the tank, you can see the temp sensor just by removing the right neck cover. It's sticking out right on top of the thermostat housing, behind the radiator fill cap, like goofyfoot said. That wire gave me trouble too. The connector broke, so I just soldered it on.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Now that a couple of members helped you out with the easy fix and saved you a ton of money at the stealership how about letting us know a little bit about your bike and your riding experience. Let us know were you are from. Put that in the "Newbie" introduction section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts