Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I could use a little help. I have a vn 700 1985 the temp gauge stopped working and the fan to the radiator is not coming on.1st question "will the water still circulate with the temp gauge not working" 2nd "will it over heat if the water is still circulating" my overall concern is over heating.I know that it needs to be fixed but I have a big ride planned and want to know if the air will keep it cool?

·
Registered
796 Posts
The water will still circulate but with the fan not working if you set in traffic with it idling for a long time it could over heat. Going down the road will keep it cool. Check the antifreeze to make sure it is full both in the radiator and overflow tank and just avoid idling for long periods of time. If the bike feels real hot and starts stumbling shut it off and let it cool down. Try and find the wires that go to the temp. sensor to see if it came unplugged. If both the guage and fan quit at the same time that is what it sounds like.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
The water will still circulate but with the fan not working if you set in traffic with it idling for a long time it could over heat. Going down the road will keep it cool. Check the antifreeze to make sure it is full both in the radiator and overflow tank and just avoid idling for long periods of time. If the bike feels real hot and starts stumbling shut it off and let it cool down. Try and find the wires that go to the temp. sensor to see if it came unplugged. If both the guage and fan quit at the same time that is what it sounds like.
actually the temp gauge and the cooling fan use two different switches... the sensor for the fan is located in the lower front left side of the radiator, while the gauge sending unit is located at the thermostat housing. If both are not working I suspect low coolant, or a bad connector inside the headlight bucket. Another thing to check is the accessory fuse...

·
Registered
796 Posts
That is what I was thinking they go to the same curcuit and if one is off it kills the other? As slim said there are 2 plugins. I forgot that part. :BLAM: I'ld say more then likely the fan temp sensor got knocked off where it hangs out there.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Sounds like it is low of water and below the gauge sending unit,my gauge quit working once on a low speed ride through the mountains and unbeknown to me my fan wasn't working. It held about a pint of water and the gauge started working a gain and I figured out I had no fan and repaired that problem as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it is low of water and below the gauge sending unit,my gauge quit working once on a low speed ride through the mountains and unbeknown to me my fan wasn't working. It held about a pint of water and the gauge started working a gain and I figured out I had no fan and repaired that problem as well.
Thanks for the help , I will check the water in the radiator,the resivour has fluid in it . I I'll check the fuse also. The wires are all connected but the thermastat wire kinda looks fried. Pls exuse my spelling.

·
Registered
796 Posts
X2 Denny

If the fan is not working it will boil the antifreeze out of the radiator through the resivour and yeah if it is below the temp gauge sending unit it will act like the temp guage is not working. If the wire is fried it is easy to splice in a new piece of wire using solder or wire connectors and shrink tube. When you refill it use the same mixture as in your car, 50/50.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts