Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used it to coat the inside of a rusty tank. Does it work or does it mess things up? I have several vintage bikes that needs this treatment but I need to know real world usage before I attempt this. (it's not cheap).

Also, has anyone heard of using pure battery acid to boil out the rust in a old tank? an old timer here told me to put pure battery acid in the tank for a few hours to eat up the rust flakes that don't get washed out.

thanks,

Dirtrack

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Do NOT use acid, it will just make things worse. There are two coatings on the market, POUR and KREEM...from what I hear, avoid KREEM.
Not sure if it is in the achives or Vulcan Verses, but there is a proceedure using electicity to clean out the inside of a rusty tank. An sure someone will come along and post the link or porceedure.

Other than replacing the tank, this is your best option...

KM

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
43 Posts

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I've never seen a Kreem treatment that held up. Usually causes trouble right away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great artical' Thanks for shairing that. I've got an old honda 450 I used Kreem on and didn't like it either. On the 500 triple tank, I'll be useing the electric formula

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
I just read an article in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine. They poured WD40 into a tank with a handful of 3/8" nuts, after removing everything and blocking the holes. Shook the tank for about 15 minutes, then flushed it with gasoline(or brake cleaner). They say it will remove surface rust and that the tank can be put back into service after making sure the screen is clean. For more severe rust, they recommended coating the tank, but didn't endorse any brands.
I had a buddy take his to a friends radiator shop, and they did it for him. Not sure which coating they used though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It looks like Por15 is the way to go.

My only question is can the Marine Clean and Metal Ready be poured down the drain or do I need to take special steps to dispose of it?

·
43 Posts
It looks like Por15 is the way to go.

My only question is can the Marine Clean and Metal Ready be poured down the drain or do I need to take special steps to dispose of it?
I didn't see anything about special disposal steps but I can tell you that Marine Clean will kill the grass if you dump it on the lawn. :doh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
go to caswell.com they have some great products including PNENOL NOVALAC EPOXY GAS TANK SEALER $32.52 . I have a 40 yr. old brit royal enfield and used this product in the tank .been 5 years now and holding up great. CASWELL also has plating kits and supplies along with specialty paints, buffing supplies etc. nice people to deal with. ken s.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oregon Vintage MC

I ride at times with the OVMC on my XS650 vintage 77. When it sits in my un heated garage, it's difficult to keep rust out of the tank.

Thanks for the info people, this site is a great resource of experience.

Dirtrack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used white vinegar to totally remove the rust of many a rusty iron or steel piece - it cleans the rust off spotless. I used it to clean rusty .44 cylinders off a black powder revolver - I don't see why pouring a couple of gallons into a motorcycle gas tank and leaving it stand over night shouldn't do the same thing - although I have never done it myself ..... Anyone else have an opinion ?.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used this stuff on my tank and it worked great...it was done about a year ago and is still holding up great. pretty easy...take everything off of the tank, shake with a few drywall screws to loosen any rust, rinse with paint/laquer thinner, then plug the holes with play-doh, and apply. One tip is to have a few taps on hand to clear the threads for any screws for easy reassembly. I highly recommend it and it comes with enough to coat two tanks , so you have enough to play around with before using on the actual tank....the 1 pint kit was plenty and cheap...$26 bucks not including shipping...

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I used Yamaha tank cleaner which is a 2 step process. A soak in a weak acid solution and a rinse/neutralizer. This was done over a year ago and I have had no problems since. It cost about $16 or so and it only removes the rust, it doesn't coat the tank afterwards. However, I keep the tank full most of the time so condensation isn't an issue.
The vinegar idea sounds interesting since most rust removal treatments use some kind of weak acid. I do know that vinegar will remove most calcium deposits on hotplates or showers so it should work in the gas tank just as well.
I've also heard of people using a weak solution of Muratic acid the same way only adding a bunch of nuts and bolts and then shaking the tank for about 15-20 minutes and then flushing with baking soda as a rinse/neutralizer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts