Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I Want To Buy A Tank Since Mine Leaks (1990) Every Ad Says 86-06 That The Tanks Are Interchangeable, Yet The Local Dealer Said That I Would Have To Buy A New One Since They Changed Every Couple Years And That It Probably Wont Fit, Could Ya Fill Me In?:blam:

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
hummm, from what i have seen so far, many parts are interchangeable from all the years. other than paint jobs, it should be the same or very similar. IMHO he is just trying to sell ya on his tank.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
yeah....lol i've found ebay to be my best friend. Kawasaki would rather sell you a new bike then the parts, messes up their calculations on how many parts to make. check out the price of a new rear end, that ought to give u a heart attack lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah But On Ebay Read The Details, Right, Cause The Tank I Looked At In Fine Print Also Leaks... Now I Found Another I'm Interested In Though ...

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
yeah :p make sure you're looking at that fine print. sometimes you can find someone parting one out and you can request parts. i've found that works well with my jeep that i have

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
There was a little change, about 2000 I think they added a vent line to the bottom under the seat. No big deal, might be off on the year, There is also a Calofornia tank, I beleve it has 2 vent lines, still no big deal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey I Found One On Ebay A 2004 , He Replied He Thinks Maybe The Gas Cap Wont Fit,and Maybe Thats The Only Difference, Any More Info You All Have Is Appreciated...

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have a tank from a CA model with two vent lines on my VN700 ('85)

I still have not got it up and running yet, but supposedly if you cap off the (left?) line and run a breather hose from the right line you are good to go. (or it could be the other way around....it's too darn early)

·
Registered
1 Posts
VN750 Tank

Had same problem with 1991 tank. Ordered tank from dealer and was told they were discontinued. Checked with Kawasaki factory/HQ and was told that that year was not compatable with following years. Found place in Pennsylvania that does tank restorations. cost about $200 and they cook out the tank, cut it open, fix minor dents, completely remove any rust, coat it inside, reseal it, coat it outside and get it ready for painting. Was VERY happy with job. Found local body shop to paint it for about another $200...not original but so far so good. Waiting for body shop to finish now. Still about $100 cheaper than a new tank would have cost. The restoration shop is MOYER Fuel Tank Renu, and you can find them at http://www.gas-tank.com/bike.htm ....VERY helpful and friendly. Actually received restored tank the first time with a new dent from shipping. They ordered pickup and fixed the new dent on their dime, no questions asked. I wish I had known about 'em when I had my Magna....I definitely recommend them and would use them again....for whatever it's worth....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Just Got My Newer Tank, Its I Think A 2002 And Only Has One Vent Out The Back So I Disconnected The Right One. Works Fine, No Leaks

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Just wanted to add this in case anyone ends up with a two tube tank on a bike without CA emissions like I did

From Jim on Yahoo Group

Yeah, that tank would have come off a CA bike. Both tubes connect to the separator/return pump in the emissions system. The right one, I
_think_, is the vent from the cap; blow air thru the vent under the
cap and see which tube it comes out to make sure, then hang a hose
off that tube down behind the engine and out in front of and a few
inches below the swingarm. The other tube is the return line from
the emissions system, and vents directly back into the tank; just cap
it off, solder it shut, whatever.
On my bike, it was the left tube that was the breather through the gas cap. I plugged the right tube using a 2 inch piece of vaccum tube and a screw. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts