Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends fuel tank lock won't open. I believe there is debris in there because I filled his tank for him when I rode it home. Any ideas of how to get it out? I was thinking of removing the tank and poking around with the tank upside down

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
You can try compressed air in the lock, My cap will stick to the point that it feels like the key will break. I’ve had luck shooting some WD40 in the hole itself. It doesn’t take much though to loosen it up. The catch that locks it doesn’t travel too much. Also try to push down on the cap while working the key.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Shop vac? Hold the lock open with the tip of the key or something smaller.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Compressed air is the way to go. Especially helpful are the canisters designed for use with electronics, with a straw that you can get down into the bottom of the keyway.
If you suspect debris, you should be able to move the keyway cover to the side with a pick and look down in there with a flashlight.

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
If you have to, and with the right tools, you can tap the roll pin out of the cap hinge. Once free, completely disassemble, clean, and lubricate. Not only will a few minutes of maintenance reduce the chance of breaking a key off, it will also reduce the possibility of getting a case of the poogs.

Reactions: Spockster
1 - 5 of 5 Posts