Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
374 Posts
If you mean these, yes.

All parts bought at Lowe’s for under $30.
Except for the pegs themselves, right? Well I could guess that "rubber sleeve" was found in a Lowe's as well? I have a metal-worker friend ready to build this thing for me using your spec. Thank you!

· Registered
374 Posts
As of right now (12:35 AM ET, 3/30) he still has one available.
eBay item number: 181468605096
Looks like he is using a gimmick to sell them. Mine was the "last one." Gotta say, though, shipping was real quick. I ordered it late on a Tuesday and it was here Friday! Shipped from England!

· Registered
163 Posts
The only thing I suggest to having a bib on your tank is to occasionally remove it to clean the tank and underside of the bib. Dirt, dust, etc... can work it’s way under the bib, and even though it may seem secure, the bib does move around a bit while riding, so it can cause wear on the finish of you tank. Putting a good coat of wax on the tank before installing the bib can help.
So I just got a bib like the one pictured at the top of this thread. I've been wanting one ever since I saw that photo but, as noted in these comments, the person selling them apparently has limited quantities available at any given time. I've kept an eye out and jumped on one as soon as they become available.

I appreciate the suggestions you've made here Knifemaker. They make sense, as I figure the bib, despite its soft underside, will inevitably cause wear on the finish over time. What do you (or others) think of putting a layer of plastic cling film, i.e., shrink wrap, on the tank where the bib is going to sit?

· Registered
374 Posts
..... despite its soft underside, will inevitably cause wear on the finish over time. What do you (or others) think of putting a layer of plastic cling film, i.e., shrink wrap, on the tank where the bib is going to sit?
I like the thought process. I want to see what the others have to say.

Reactions: Acadia86

· Super Moderator
12,431 Posts
The rubber sleeve was found at Walmart. It’s a bicycle grip. 🚲 $4.

As for the tank, I just waxed it and took the bib off every now and then to clean it. If you want to put something down to protect the tank further, I’d use an easy to remove tape, like painters tape (Frog Tape). Use at least two layers.
Because the tank has a curve to it, a cling wrap or anything similar would have wrinkles. Using strips of tape would solve that. 👍

· Registered
163 Posts
Just thought I'd give this old thread a bump in case anyone might be interested in one of these nice tank bibs.
As noted in the thread, these come available every now and then. Looks like there are two available at the moment.
Leather tank bib
They work really well on older models like my '86 that have faded decals on top of the tank.

· Super Moderator
12,431 Posts
A hundred dollars? Yikes!

I still have a magnetic tank bag that I used to hold my Kimber .45, wallet, phone, maps (remember those?) warmer gloves, a water bottle, a small tool kit, extra visor for my helmet, sheath knife, a small bag of chips and a cheese sandwich, flashlight, and extra ammo. Cost me $59.00 😉

21 - 28 of 28 Posts