Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a tank bag for longer trips, Looking for a Magnetic bag.
Anybody use one or got any comments on them.
Would like a place to put maps and sunglesses.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I am thinking of getting a tank bag for longer trips, Looking for a Magnetic bag.
Anybody use one or got any comments on them.
Would like a place to put maps and sunglesses.
I'm thinking the same route. But the one I want will also have a clear pocket on the top to hold a map or a route sheet for a poker run.

This one is kinda nice http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=4136&department=668&Division=6

Here is one I really like but am not sure how one would fit on my Nomad. http://www.hellrisercustoms.com/selector.php?group=3&category=Luggage&subcat=Tank&title=Tank%20Bags%20for%20Vulcan

The VN750 should be a lot easier as the tank is a totally blank slate.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've got a Givi magnetic tankbag like the one pictured below.

What I like about it is, the bag can be removed from the magnetic part, and you're left with a simple map pouch on the tank.
It also has hidden straps on the back of the bag to use it as a backpack, as well as a carry handle.

It's only got a single compartment, but that's all I need.
Never had any troubles with it seeming like it would blow off.
(did about a 95mph test run to be sure)

The only thing I don't like about it (as with probably any tankbag, seeing as the tank's so small) is that I have to move it to add gas.

Attachments

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
I've got a "Cargo" brand magnetic tank bag with the map pocket on top, slightly different from hyper's. The big warning I would give is be very careful where the set the thing down, I've heard several stories about those magnets picking up staples, nails, etc. then scratching the hell out of the tank when you put it on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just a note: I was going 85 on I-40 heading into Albuquerque on a really windy day and my magnetic bag blew off the tank and landed in my lap. Good thing too - it had my camera, cell phone, wallet and mp3 player in it. Lots of truck traffic behind me too. I can now no longer trust it. It's a TourMaster Cortech tank bag.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
theauhawk said:
Do any of these tank bag suggestions interfere with the handlebars (turning left or right all the way), especially if the bag is completely full--or do they block your view of the instuments?........:confused:
Mine isn't all that large, so it doesn't effect steering or view at all.

darrelc5 said:
Just a note: I was going 85 on I-40 heading into Albuquerque on a really windy day and my magnetic bag blew off the tank and landed in my lap. Good thing too - it had my camera, cell phone, wallet and mp3 player in it. Lots of truck traffic behind me too. I can now no longer trust it. It's a TourMaster Cortech tank bag.
There are six mighty strong magnets on mine. When I do use it, I make sure it's pulled down as tight as I can get it so as little wind as possible can get underneath it.
Occationally while riding, I might tug at it to be sure it's still on tight.

stevebtx12 said:
I've heard several stories about those magnets picking up staples, nails, etc. then scratching the hell out of the tank when you put it on.
The way mine is made, when it's not on the tank, the magnetic flaps cover over each other, protecting them pretty good from the chance of picking up anything. But if they do, once you un-fold them, anything that might be stuck to them is on the outside :smiley_th

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got one on Ebay, waiting for shipping, Looks like it will fit on the 750 great. I will post picts when I get it.
Here is one just like it from the same seller
Ebay # 190087255390

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my tank bags in today, I got one and Bulldog got one. I will say they are very good quality. Have not had a chance to ride with mine due to the rain and 43F. Will let you know how they do. The Bigger one is the GT-MINI, the smaller one is the GT-POCKET.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Got my tank bags in today, I got one and Bulldog got one. I will say they are very good quality. Have not had a chance to ride with mine due to the rain and 43F. Will let you know how they do. The Bigger one is the GT-MINI, the smaller one is the GT-POCKET.
Nice... Can't wait to see it in person...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Can't tell from the pix. Do they have a clear map pocket?

TIA

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Can't tell from the pix. Do they have a clear map pocket?
Yes they do. The one Chad has has some really great features and the map pocket is big enough to hold a nice section of map or poker run directions.

The mini that I got also has a map holder, but it is much smaller. The map or directions will need to be folded up. Still, for what I want it for - it is perfect...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I really like my MotoPak saddlebags, so I would think these are just as good.

And I finally found a pic of my bike with the Givi tankbag.
It's bigger than yours, Chad, but still doesn't get in the way of the bars at all. But like I said, it is in the way when filling up w/ gas.

Attachments

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine leaves me access to the gas cap, Thats what I like.
Gonna give it a try today.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I've got a "Cargo" brand magnetic tank bag with the map pocket on top, slightly different from hyper's. The big warning I would give is be very careful where the set the thing down, I've heard several stories about those magnets picking up staples, nails, etc. then scratching the hell out of the tank when you put it on.
I have to agree with this through experience. Just found a shard of aluminum that has jacked up the paint on my tank that was pristine prior to purchasing the tank bag...i am now ordering the tank bib to hopefully cover the lower scratches but the upper ones ...i think i am screwed on. Plus the wind will scoop up the magnets in front on the freeway if i dont pay attention. Make sure you get a large one that can accomodate the tank size....I think mine is a Cargo. or Basics...or something like that. Got it from cyclegear.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
A tank bag would be my last choice of a way to carry things on the Vulcan. I have the factory Kawasaki bolt on saddlebags, luggage rack, and extended backrest. I have a fairly large T-Bag that I attach to the backrest, and it sits on the luggage rack. I also tie stuff to the passenger portion of the seat.

Pretty much any tankbag is going to damage the paint, especially if you have much weight in it. Just the slight movement from wind and vibration will grind the paint right off. Look at the part of the tank underneath the front of the seat, where the seat rubs against it. The whole top of the tank will look like that if you use a tank bag very long. Jerry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts