Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TAIL-LIGHT-SPINNY-Kawasaki-Vulcan-500-750-800-1500-1600-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cede50636QQitemZ330408724022QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Has anyone tried one of these? I put one in and my bike started having problems. After a few miles, it would just start missing and die. I would have to crank and crank to get it going again. I was 15 miles from home, and had to stop about 5 times to restart. What are the symptoms of overloading the electrical system? Mine seamed to all of a sudden, run on just one cylinder, and die when I pulled in the clutch. I switched it to reserve, to check and see if it was the POG, but that did not help.

I did make one mistake, when I got home, I swapped the light back out, and dumped some Iso Heat in the tank. I shook it up, and let it idle for about ten minutes. I rode it out to the gas station with no problem, and topped off the tank. I then run about another 20 miles to get an inspection without a single problem.

Could that bulb overload my system, or do you think I had some crap in my carb or gas that the Heat took care of. I had not rode it for a week or so, but have never had any problems of any kind before this.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
You said to switched to reserve, but you never said wheather you opened the fuel tank or not. Openning the tank removes the vaccuum in the tank allowing the fuel to flow. It still could be the POG syndrome.
If you had the right bulb in the socket I don't think that would have caused that problem.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TAIL-LIGHT-SPINNY-Kawasaki-Vulcan-500-750-800-1500-1600-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cede50636QQitemZ330408724022QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Has anyone tried one of these? I put one in and my bike started having problems. After a few miles, it would just start missing and die. I would have to crank and crank to get it going again. I was 15 miles from home, and had to stop about 5 times to restart. What are the symptoms of overloading the electrical system? Mine seamed to all of a sudden, run on just one cylinder, and die when I pulled in the clutch. I switched it to reserve, to check and see if it was the POG, but that did not help.

I did make one mistake, when I got home, I swapped the light back out, and dumped some Iso Heat in the tank. I shook it up, and let it idle for about ten minutes. I rode it out to the gas station with no problem, and topped off the tank. I then run about another 20 miles to get an inspection without a single problem.

Could that bulb overload my system, or do you think I had some crap in my carb or gas that the Heat took care of. I had not rode it for a week or so, but have never had any problems of any kind before this.
sounds like you had water in your gas.Put the bulb back in and try it if it does it again it's probably causing problems if it doesn't then it is was something else.The symptoms you described stopping after you added the Heet makes me think it was water.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did open the tank, and no effect.

The only thing about putting the bulb in and out, is I am afraid I might burn something out permanently. Better safe than sorry.

If could be water in my gas, I keep my bike stored in on of those rubber maid building, so it could be prone to dampness.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I did open the tank, and no effect.

The only thing about putting the bulb in and out, is I am afraid I might burn something out permanently. Better safe than sorry.

If could be water in my gas, I keep my bike stored in on of those rubber maid building, so it could be prone to dampness.
True, if if ain't broke don't fix it ,Ha ,who am I kidding I'm always working on stuff,the better mouse trap thing I guess.And most of the time we pay for that water at the gas pump,I don't know about anybody else but i will not fill up at a gas station while or shortly after they are filling their bulk tanks,the trucks pumping fuel in stirs up the water in the bulk tank and you can pump it into your tank.If the tanker trucks there go elsewhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've thought about adding those as well, but are they DOT legal?

Sorry, alittle off topic. I can't help you as far as the problems with the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
I have those on all my bikes. They are LEDs, so they pull less juice than a standard bulb. Don't know if they are DOT legal or not, and really don't care because they are real attention getters. Ordered mine after riding behind a guy that had them. One member here thought they are hypnotic. Suppose they could be if you allow someone to ride your rear fender, but when you hit the brakes and they start flashing, only a blind person could miss them!

BTW, I offered $12 each and it was accepted. You could try lower.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Two on the Vulcan, one on the Rebel, 'cause that's all they have. Hmm shipping was included when I bought mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think I'm going to have to buy me a set of these now. You guys are draining my wallet faster then my girlfriend, lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like several people are buying a set from that link. They counter offered my 12.25 on this one, with 8 other offers pending. I guess I will hold off for a little while till the demand drops on them.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I wonder if its legal. I have the led taillight with back off.

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
The problem I had when I replaced the standard brake bulb with and LED bulb was that the total light output looked much dimmer. The silver reflector behind the standard bulb does a great job of redirecting the light. The reflector didn't work for LED replacement bulbs.

I posted a picture of my comparison in this thread: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14471

I like the idea of the bulb that has motion to gain attention but I don't want to decrease the light by too much.

Lets see a comparison of a spin bulb vs standard bulb... how about a video or some photos?

edit: I don't think I've posted this photo before... red 32-led bulb on left standard bulb on right. Brakes on. Lense cover off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The problem I had when I replaced the standard brake bulb with and LED bulb was that the total light output looked much dimmer. The silver reflector behind the standard bulb does a great job of redirecting the light. The reflector didn't work for LED replacement bulbs.

I posted a picture of my comparison in this thread: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14471

I like the idea of the bulb that has motion to gain attention but I don't want to decrease the light by too much.

Lets see a comparison of a spin bulb vs standard bulb... how about a video or some photos?

edit: I don't think I've posted this photo before... red 32-led bulb on left standard bulb on right. Brakes on. Lense cover off.

Interesting, I'll have to see how I like them when they come in. I still can't seem to find the regulations either as far as whether or not there street legal.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
We sell them to truckers all the time. As long as you still have some kind of reflector (red) the rear and the brake light is brighter than the running light, you should be okay.

What is the parts # on the bulb, I may have some at work. I will check on the price. Is it to replace the 1157 type?

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I will not fill up at a gas station while or shortly after they are filling their bulk tanks,the trucks pumping fuel in stirs up the water in the bulk tank and you can pump it into your tank.If the tanker trucks there go elsewhere.
Denny,
I always believed that to be true, too, but a while back I took half a vial of gas (maybe an ounce) and filled it the rest of the way with water. Then I shook it up. The purpose was to determine if the gas had alcohol in it. The water, which is heavier, at first measured at 1/2 the volume, but after I shook it, the water mixed with the alcohol and formed a cloudy liquid that actually measured well above the half way mark. This indicated that there was definintely alcohol in the fuel.

The reason this is relevant to your theory is that the water and alcohol cannot be separated again. So if you had water in an underground tank and added gasoline to it (unless your gas has no alcohol--fat chance) It would come out of the nozzle as a cloudy brown liquid that resembles instant iced tea. It will not settle or clarify. Of course, crap and sediment could be stirred up like you say, and cause other problems, just not water.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I bought a set of those led spinning bulds on ebay because I thought they would be great. But like some others have said, they are not as bright as the stock bulb so I took them out and put my stock bulbs back in. I noticed, particularly during the day, that cagers behind me could not see my brake light very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts