Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question for you more experienced riders...

On a recent trip from mansfield to my hometown (about 70 miles), I met up with a group of two bikes on the highway. We were going about the same pace so I figured I would just join that group until we parted ways. I kept proper spacing and lane position until we exchanged a wave and a nod and went out separate ways.

My question is, what is a good practice when riding around other motorcycles? I know there is safety in numbers, but is it bad practice to randomly join up in other groups that I don't know?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea same here, Thats exactly what I did, it was a textbook riding formation haha

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
That article is much more detailed than what I was going to say, but it said it much better than I would have. I've done the last part of that article several times, just staying a very healthy distance behind the group. If they stop somewhere I usually keep going. Just me. Unless its for gas and I need it. Some of the rides I've been on around Leakey there's so many bikes you nearly are one massive group on the roads. You really have to be on your game, keeping an eye behind and in front of you the whole time. The sport bikes almost never stay behind a group of cruisers and you really gotta watch them cause they'll sneak right up on your back tire and whip past you at the first tiny opening they get!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That link was pretty informative. I saw these guys at a gas station where I was fueling up. I moved off the pump so they could fill up. We exchanged nods but that was it. At the time I didn't know they were headed my way. But after reading that, I'll definitely be more cautious about joining other groups. Especially after reading the part about the back position and how some groups consider it pretty important.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
The sport bikes almost never stay behind a group of cruisers and you really gotta watch them cause they'll sneak right up on your back tire and whip past you at the first tiny opening they get!
I resemble that remark! :pepper:

Except I blow past the sportsbikers on my Vulcan... heehehe :rockon: :smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
If you were not invited to the party, you ain't supposed to go.

As for the "safety in numbers" thing, that only works if there is going to me a rumble.

Riding around cars is of course dangerous, but at least they are slow, and fairly predictable. Other bikes are of course as quick and nimble as you are, and thus are alot harder to guard against if they make a sudden move.

For this reason alone, I prefer to stay away from other bikes, (and I of course don't like being around cars either) If you are riding in a "group" you likely should have established some rules or be following some game plan. As an outsider this makes just joining in with a group you do not know a fairly big faux pas..and may award you with the greeting discribed here:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11356

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you were not invited to the party, you ain't supposed to go.

As for the "safety in numbers" thing, that only works if there is going to me a rumble.

Riding around cars is of course dangerous, but at least they are slow, and fairly predictable. Other bikes are of course as quick and nimble as you are, and thus are alot harder to guard against if they make a sudden move.

For this reason alone, I prefer to stay away from other bikes, (and I of course don't like being around cars either) If you are riding in a "group" you likely should have established some rules or be following some game plan. As an outsider this makes just joining in with a group you do not know a fairly big faux pas..and may award you with the greeting discribed here:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11356

KM
I am not in the habit of joining in any where I don't know someone personally,or have a common interest besides how many wheels we are riding on.I Ride with people who I know for the most part unless it is for an organized event of some sort,You should know your riding partners to know how they will react in an unexpected situation both on and off the bikes,After almost 30 years in the saddle you figure out there are people you want to be with and people you don't.I know what I will do if trouble arises on the road or off.People are not all bad because they ride bikes neither are they all good people for that reason .I have left groups of riders when I saw unsafe or inconsiderate behaviour from members of the group and went My own way,I am not big on the idea of just joining in.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
My wife and I were riding home from Key West (about 180 miles) a few months back and we came across several groups of motorcycle riders. One looked like gang members, most were weekend businessmen on their expensive HD's. I did the same thing with each of them, after all nobody owns the road and I'm going somewhere too. Out of respect I trailed a bit further behind the last rider for a short while. If it was a group I wanted to pass, I passed them in the far side of another lane, nodding respectfully if eye contact was made. Passing the large group of narley looking bikers I made less eye contact, but some was made none-the-less and I nodded respectfully as I passed in the lane to their right hand side. Got a respectful nod back from them and even a thumbs up once. Everyone was cool.

I don't think it's appropriate to simply join in with a group as if you're becoming part of them. However, I've got somewhere I have to go to and if I come up on a group of riders and we wind up sharing some space for a bit, so be it. But I'm not getting in the middle of them and I'm not going to slow down and stay behind for too long either. Respect is the key. Getting in the middle of a group of motorcycles without being invited is as disrespectful as cutting into a funeral procession. They're all following each other and headed to the same place, don't cut in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts