Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1995 750 vulcan, went out for a ride and when crusin at 65 the tack dropped to 0 rpm and engine died.
Pulled over to the side of the road, waited a few minuets and re-started bike no problem, but it did the same thing after just getting rolling again.
Re-started again after pulling off the road and drove straight home without another incident.
I can't recall if I put the kickstand down each time I stopped, but was thinking maybe (hopefully) this is caused by the safety switch for the Kickstand.

It's like the ignition just died.

What do you all think?

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
It could be that, though it seems weird it would have happened while cruising down the highway, esp. the way it works. I will be curious to see what others post - hopefully not the stator, as it sounds like that can be a bit of a bugger.

Good luck : )

AZ Kev

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It doesn`t act like a sidestand switch.
The intermittent nature of the problem sounds more like a bad connection in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
900 Posts
check your R/R... sounds like your getting a bad charge on the battery... also check out/search POGS...this might be the case as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn`t act like a sidestand switch.
The intermittent nature of the problem sounds more like a bad connection in the ignition switch.
I will check into this. I believe this could be possible since the volt meter attached to the system still looked ok. This would lead me to think it is not a bad battery or R/R. I don't suspect POGS, didn't sputter, there was no indication in advance of the Tach dropping to 0.

So I like the ignition switch suggestion, will look into that.

Thanks
Malcolm

·
Registered
116 Posts
sounds ike the ignition switch mine did the same thing till i fixed it

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ignition switch is the most likely culprit; I've had it happen exactly like that, two different switches.

The POG (Plastic Oil Gear) problem was with '98 Classic (1500 E1) and the '99-up 1500s. Earlier models, from '96-99 D and L (C) models, and '87-'99 A and B models, had the POG, but I know of only one failure in an A model. Nobody's ever figured out why later ones failed, and earlier ones didn't.

The POG is not a problem with the VN750; it ain't got one. The oil pump is chain driven off the balancer shaft, not direct gear driven.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Ignition switch is the most likely culprit; I've had it happen exactly like that, two different switches.

The POG (Plastic Oil Gear) problem was with '98 Classic (1500 E1) and the '99-up 1500s. Earlier models, from '96-99 D and L (C) models, and '87-'99 A and B models, had the POG, but I know of only one failure in an A model. Nobody's ever figured out why later ones failed, and earlier ones didn't.

The POG is not a problem with the VN750; it ain't got one. The oil pump is chain driven off the balancer shaft, not direct gear driven.
JD, they are talking about the (Phantum Out of Gas.)

·
Registered
748 Posts
JD, they are talking about the (Phantum Out of Gas.)
Ah; thanks James; my mistake. I wasn't even thinking about that. Even that wouldn't apply here, tho; the "phantom out of gas" phenomena usually doesn't cause the bike to suddenly die and the tach suddenly drop to zero. It just acts like it's running out of gas. The ignition switch losing contact almost always does.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you saying the tach dropped to 0 ..then the bike died...or that the tach dropped to 0 when the bike died...( a "Duh" for sure there..;) ) ???

Cause if the tach dropped first... it has to be an electrical issue..
The tach dropped to 0 then it died, or more like tach read 0 even though I was still in gear rolling at 55mph.

Yes I suspect an electrical issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts