Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am convinced that synthetic oils are superior for engines, but I am not sure of their effect on the wet clutches in bikes. Can anyone give me some advice or opinions? I just bought a new VN750 this spring and so far I am using the Kawasaki oil, but I would like to switch to synthetic (Mobil 1) if there are no bad side effects on the wet clutch. Any comments?

Del

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you can get hold of the August 2003 issue of RoadBike Mag, you'll find much information about oils; both bike and car. Very good article with "experts" from the oil industry interviewed.
Some say yea to syns, while others say nay., but it might just give you something to think about before you pay for snythetics.
By the way; RoadBike Mag is now ALL Metric. Pretty good magazine for us Metric riders.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'll second the nod for Amsoil's bike formula 10W40, it's one of, if not the best MC oil on the market. I add 10 oz of it to regular oil to make my own semi-syn and the difference in shifting is really amazing - it feels as if all the trans' internals were polished! PM me if ya want the name of my Amsoil dealer, he sells at cost if ya buy a case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm going to put this here as well as the Yahoo board. If you want to use synthetic Mobil 1 in your bike (many, many folks do with good results) be sure you use the RED cap version. Last I saw 10W40 (recommended for the 750) only comes in Red Cap, but that could change. In any case, check the container and make SURE it doesn't have "Energy Conserving" in the lower half of the little circular symbol. The additives in "Energy Conserving" oils WILL cause clutch slippage.

Also, I've read several articles on "made for motorcycles" type oils vs. car oils and the consensus across the board was "don't waste your money". The CORRECT automotive oil will work just fine in your water-cooled bike. There's lots of hype from companies out there trying to get you to spend your hard earned bucks on THEIR product. Just be aware of it. YMMV

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have been using Amsoil 10W40 high performance motor oil (not mc specific) in both of my bikes for over a year, and have encountered zero problems. I am willing to pay the extra couple of bucks for the perceived extra protection.
Just my $.02
Dennis in MD
The Krusty Old Phart
Still turnin' burnin' and lurnin'

·
Registered
26 Posts
dennisinmd said:
I have been using Amsoil 10W40 high performance motor oil (not mc specific) in both of my bikes for over a year, and have encountered zero problems. I am willing to pay the extra couple of bucks for the perceived extra protection.
Just my $.02
Dennis in MD
The Krusty Old Phart

I've read several test reports on oils and the Amsoil 10W40 rates very high. It is no doubt outstanding for our bikes, as is the Mobil 1 product. The difference for me is that I can get the Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for about $4.00 / qt. I haven't found Amsoil in this area but I haven't looked real hard either. Do you buy it locally or do you order it from the internet?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Salvo auto parts store. They are a local (Baltimore, MD) chain.

Dennis in MD
The Krusty Old Phart

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that tip about the "Energy Conserving." I just checked my oil (Mobil 1 10W30) that I use in my car and it has a GREEN cap and it has the "Energy Conserving" Symbol. I'll have to make a trip to store and read the cans. Thanks for the advice. I believe firmly in the benefits of synthetic oil for the engines, but I don't want to screw up the clutch.

Thanx

MokiMan said:
I'm going to put this here as well as the Yahoo board. If you want to use synthetic Mobil 1 in your bike (many, many folks do with good results) be sure you use the RED cap version. Last I saw 10W40 (recommended for the 750) only comes in Red Cap, but that could change. In any case, check the container and make SURE it doesn't have "Energy Conserving" in the lower half of the little circular symbol. The additives in "Energy Conserving" oils WILL cause clutch slippage.

Also, I've read several articles on "made for motorcycles" type oils vs. car oils and the consensus across the board was "don't waste your money". The CORRECT automotive oil will work just fine in your water-cooled bike. There's lots of hype from companies out there trying to get you to spend your hard earned bucks on THEIR product. Just be aware of it. YMMV

·
Now what
400 Posts
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.htmlSomeone showed us this link. It's got more information about oil than most people need (or can understand :) ) . But there is some useful information in it anyway. Like why "Energy Conserving" rated oils aren't good for motorcycles. Happy reading!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts