Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this in your rear end? I know it's expensive, but our third members can't hold very much, so maybe it's fairly cost efficient. Seeing as how there's no limited-slip differential or anything, I can't imagine it would cause any problems.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Syn gear oil is fine. I use Mobil 1 syn 75w/90. I change it every third oil change, abt 9000mi. IIRC, Kaw recomends to check the level every 6000mi, which I do, but I replace it at 9000mi regardless.
I think the benefits should be the same as for syn engine oil...run cooler, longer, better protection. I don't think these can be debated. Whether syn is worth the xtra bucks is another topic....
It's not that much more money, so to me it's worth it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty much what I figured. And as far as price goes, it is indeed more expensive, but since the rear probably only holds around a pint or so, a quart would last two changes, so it's not too absurdly expensive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use synthetic for rear drive lub and engine also. Like you say, not that much more costwise, and wortt it to me for the perceived extra protection. I did notice appearently smoother shifting with Amsoil 10W40 full synthetic over the Rotella-T.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use non MC specific 10W40 High Performance. Most auto stores should have it. I get mine by the case at Salvo Auto Parts in Belair, MD.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to do some poking around to see if there's anywhere around here that's got it. Belair is kind of a haul. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Regular gear oil is fine if it's changed regularly. Now, with that said, BMW uses synthetic in their new R1200 GS. So what you may ask. The GS's final drive is sealed for life, as in no drain plug! Can you think of a bike that will rack up a tougher 100,000 + miles than that scoot?
I use Amsoil 80W90. It's nice to know that if I never change it I'll still be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts