Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went briefly looking around for some good ol' DOT 4 brake fluid and all that I saw at three different auto parts stores was synthetic. There was plenty of the other DOT levels, which I don't want, that were petroleum based but all of the DOT 4 was synthetic. Any thoughts on using synthetic?? Also, I saw some labeled as DOT4LV. It was right next to the DOT4 Super. I don't want the Super and I don't know what the LV is. The can was in four or five different languages but didn't explain any. Any input on the LV, guys?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
....new to me ! - :doh: -

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did look it up since starting the thread and the LV stands for Low Viscosity. Its supposed to be for low temperature environments. So much for that. But I still am curious about using synthetic fluid.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would there need to be any sort of flushing when going from a petroleum-based DOT4 to the synthetic-based DOT4? It would seem that the residue petroleum-based stuff that coats the walls of the brake lines might contaminate, in some way, the synthetic stuff.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,209 Posts
You are bleeding the old fluid out. Once the line off the caliper shows clear fluid, you have exchanged the first old for the new. It's not going to "mix"... It's going to "replace"....if you do it right...:)
X2 there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts